How early to spray columbine and iris?

It is late April in Maine (5b-4a), and the columbine and iris are just peeking out. Every year I have problems with budworm in the iris and columbine worm in the columbine. I'd like to try to get them early with Neem and/or insecticidal soap. Can either of these harm very small plants (probably not the iris, but maybe the columbine?)
Any other suggestions for coping with these would be appreciated.

Go to this web site. Find your local cooperative extension office and ask them how to deal with this using no chemicals, if possible, or the LEAST environmentally obscene way possible. Chemicals are ALWAYS the last resort.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/