How do I kill soil?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070404080403090602040807 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?
Thanks in advance.
--------------070404080403090602040807 Content-Type: message/rfc822; name="Attached Message" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="Attached Message"
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:07:25 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.68.63.98 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net X-Trace: trnddc04 1126667245 207.68.63.98 (Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:07:25 EDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:07:25 EDT Xref: cyclone.rdc-nyc.rr.com rec.gardens:252034

I've been looking for it myself. Could be it's not available to mere mortals because of strict controlls on the so called "intellectual property" rights. The best you can do is buy the cut flowers here:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=toupee&btnG=Search+Froogle
um, oh yeah, do not ask me how I know this.
--------------070404080403090602040807--

Why, and for how long?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Between 2 sheds there is a 1 foot wide space (approx.) Lengthwise there is about 5 feet of soil overgrowing with weeds. Tearing the weeds out is easy. But they come back. The weed killers I've used don't seem to work for too long. If you know of any that will keep the area clear at least for a few months, please tell me.

Kill the weeds and cover with landscape fabric. Cover the fabric with stones. Endlessly spraying poison is irresponsible, and as you've found out, pointless.
angel toledo wrote:

You could use a "weed barrier cloth". It would be buried just under the surface and prevent weeds from breaking through or getting established if they grow above. You could cover it with something else (bark mulch, gravel) instead of just "dirt".
[...] I've read products such as

I don't think mixing salt into the soil will work unless you live in a desert area. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the rain is going to wash the salt away.
Paulo
Paulo Castello da Costa wrote:

That's what I did for the foot or so of land between my shed and my neighbor's fence. If it were visible, I'd cover it with mulch, but it's not :)
-- Jennifer
angel toledo wrote:

Salt of the Earth would be good.

USDA Zone 8
The easiest, cheapest and most effective way is to pee on it on a daily basis. I know this sounds kind of gross, but it really works.
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

I'm curious--why would you want the area to remain as "dirt?" You could torch the area. Any method will require re-applications. Maybe you really want a concrete slab?

You could cover the area with plastic and let the sun "sterilize" it.
May take some time.
--
Persephone.

Ever heard the saying "Nature abhors a vacuum"? Something will find the empty spot delightful to grow in. It'll probably take more work to kill the "something" repeatedly than it will to go to a real garden store, buy some top-quality landscape fabric and bags of stones, open 2 beers, and install the barrier & stones.

How to Kill Soil - You must stab the soil 69 times with a Salty Thumb from a Salty Troll harvested with a silver dibble which has been cleansed with 69 moonbeams from the light of a blue moon on the shores of a Great Salt Lake.
Afterwards, the soil may still be able to grow stuff, but at least it will no longer be able to get up, walk around and terrorize the neighborhood.