hole in willow tree trunk

Ther is a cavity in the trunk of our willow tree, it is about 12 inches long and about four inches deep, can it be sealed up and if so with what.? thank you kindly.. I don't want to loose the tree. what type of tree food does it need./
jak

Cavities are part of life for a tree. most are harmless. More relevant is how big it is compared to the total trunk size, where it is located, and whether it started as a dead branch or a big gash/tear in the bark.
don't think about feeding your tree. Think about feeding your soil. In most cases, a good manure compost will take care of the bulk of what you need. Depending on your soil, you may want tome rock phosphate or some other nutrients. No way to answer for sure without a good soil test.
Keith Babberney ISA CErtified Arborist #TX-236AT
jak Good question. I am glad you asked that question. I myself would not bother to fill a cavity. Filling the cavity will not benefit the tree. Do not install drain tubes. If you do, do not break the boundaries in the tree. Don't wound wall 4. If you did fill it, fill it with a flexible substance. Foam maybe. Do not use cement because trees are almost constantly moving in place. The cement would not be flexible. Don't forget to treat the system, not just the wound. See proper mulching here: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! www.treedictionary.com http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.