Help with ID of large green leaf tree ?

Hi,
I have been trying to identify this tree which is growing in a cramped area in the back of my yard in Massachusetts. I tried a few online sites, but couldn't find any leafs like this one.
http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscworc/IMG_1017.jpg
The leaves are ~ 12" long. We've only noticed this type of tree once before in the area (in the Providence zoo).
Any help is appreciated. We are trying to figure out what type of tree to plant for shade, and find this one very interesting (and think it might provide good shade, while still keeping an open feel).
Thanks,
Chris
chris_290 wrote:

Maybe Big Leaf Magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla? Here's a link: http://www.gwf.org/bigleaf.htm
I saw one in bloom at a local display garden. It was magnificent, with flowers about 12" across. The leaves aren't like other magnolias, being a lot thinner, a lighter shade of green and they aren't at all waxy looking.
Alana Gibson
-
Alana Gibson wrote:

If you identification is correct, here is what Sunset says:     deciduous     slow growing to 30 ft     spreads to 20 ft     blooms when 12-15 years old     fragrant white flowers as much as 16 inches across         in late spring or early summer (after leafing out)
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
chris_290 wrote:

It's Magnolia tripetala.
chris_290 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help ! I now know what type of tree we are hoping to get (or to move from the corner of the backyard) - though I will have to be careful it won't be in too sunny a spot.
I couldn't get closer pictures of the tree I posted the initial photo of, but I did get some closer up shots of the one in my yard. They are slightly different - but probably closely related.
I don't need any feedback on these, just wanted to put these out there as you've all been helpful, and seem to enjoy this :)
Chris
(The first two are the tree from the providence zoo, 3, 4 and 5 are from the one in my backyard (kind of the same)
http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscworc/Desktop.html