help with grass

Last year - after a lot of time, effort, help from neighbours, etc. etc. we set about from scratch, planting what I had hoped to be a beautiful lawn . Horrors! towards the end of August all our hard work was dying before our eyes. I'm hoping that it might come back but will probably have to add more soil and more seed and go through the entire process again.

My cottage is south west New Brunswick, Canada (zone 5) and we are on the ocean. I brought seed down from Toronto - perhaps it was the wrong seed?. If anyone has ideas on how to make my grass grow without dying, I would really appreciate it. I started this process last May - watered properly and thought I'd followed all directions to a 't'.

E.

Reply to
elaine

E,

It's funny, but I find the grass in our yard seems to be the hardest plant to maintain, harder than roses, gardenias, etc..

Being no expert myself, here are my recommendations:

Find a local resource that will sample your soil for you to test for pH levels, nutrient levels, etc.. Here in the US, most states have an agricultural extension which will provide a soil analysis for free, provided you send the soil into the lab. If you do not have this sort of resource you should be able to buy a kit at a gardening store, or online; however it is much more accurate to have a lab do this for you.

Amend your soil according to the analysis/report, and what type of grass you are trying to establish.

Buy grass seed locally, using a seed that is recommended for your geo. area. Buy a blend of various local seeds, if one type doesn' t establish itself, another type in the blend may work. Is there a local gardening store near you that you know and trust for good information?

It's possible you bought a summer grass, and that it will green up in the spring. If so, you may want to switch to an all season variety, again, check with a local nursery or agricultural extension service.

Best of luck to you , I know how frustrating it can be! Heidi P.s.. I found this site through a google search, maybe you can call them for advice?

ela>Last year - after a lot of time, effort, help from neighbours, etc. etc. we

Reply to
Heidi

Thanks for the advice Heidi, I will call that number, perhaps they can help. Upon reflection, it probably wasn't a good idea to buy seed in Toronto to plant in St. Andrews - so much for saving money!!

Elaine

Reply to
elaine