help identify these plants

A shrubby thing growing on a shale outcrop across the creek from my property:
http://home.alltel.net/~jmshaffer/img_1907_crop.jpg
It's not on an inhabited plot of land, but I can't find it in any of my tree or wildflower books.
Then there's this growing between some daylilies. I can't find it in the wildflower books either:
http://home.alltel.net/~jmshaffer/img_1916_crop.jpg
The first one looks like an azalea, probably a deciduous one if you took this picture recently. The flower is dead on, with 6 stamens, and you can see some weevil feeding damage on one of the leaves at the top left. Not sure on the second one.
Toad
On 19 Jun 2005 20:02:00 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net"

Thanks, I had no idea such things existed. After a web search, the best match seems to be Rhododendron arborescens, except that I haven't detected a scent yet, or Rhododendron viscosum, except that the leaves are smooth. I wonder if it's some intermediate form?
would you say the second flowers look anything like the pic in the following URL?: http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/eprimrose4.html

Don't know about Jim but I would say YES
presley wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:50:41 -0700, "presley"

That's what it looks like. Thanks!