Help identify Flower called Rissin

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie
France. Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in th UK
Red spiky balls on large leaves
You can find photos at
http://www.akk.me.uk/rissin.htm
Thanks
Rissi
-- rissin
Ricin is derived from castor bean plants, which look, to my untrained eye, very like your picture. Try doing a google images search for castor bean or ricin.
rissin wrote:

ricin? looks like castor bean (Ricinus communis). here's more than you wanted to know about the plant & toxins: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html
can't help you find one in the UK. sorry. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

It's a red castor bean plant. See here http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57602 /
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie, France. Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the UK
Red spiky balls on large leaves
You can find photos at
http://www.akk.me.uk/rissin.htm
Thanks
Rissin
--
rissin

rissin wrote:

Castor bean: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html

USDA Zone 8

I don't know about a UK source, but Castor seeds are common on Ebay. I grew some last year out of curiosity because I remember seeing some of the seeds that look like large, fat ticks as a child. For me, at least, it was a smashing failure. The plants grew, and grew large and fast, but the next crop of seeds were only half-ripe before frost killed the plants. They weren't even slightly hardy in South Carolina. I suspect that the plants would have died if I had waved a glass of ice water menancingly in their direction. Anyway, I was stuck with thick, not really woody but very dense trunks to cut down and large roots to dig up. Wasn't really worth the bother, IMHO.