Help identify Flower called Rissin

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie

France. Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in th UK

Red spiky balls on large leaves

You can find photos at

Rissi

-- rissin

Reply to
rissin

rissin expounded:

It's a red castor bean plant. See here

Ann

Reply to
William Brown

rissin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

ricin? looks like castor bean (Ricinus communis). here's more than you wanted to know about the plant & toxins:

can't help you find one in the UK. sorry. lee

Reply to
enigma

The castor bean plant, Ricinus communis Sorry, do not know of source in UK

Reply to
told2b

I managed to send this to the wrong place before; so let me try again.

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual. Once you grow it you can harvest your own seeds. The plant and its seeds are considered poisonous. Do not grow it where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie, France. Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the UK

Red spiky balls on large leaves

You can find photos at

Rissin

Reply to
nonews

Castor bean:

Travis

I don't know about a UK source, but Castor seeds are common on Ebay. I grew some last year out of curiosity because I remember seeing some of the seeds that look like large, fat ticks as a child. For me, at least, it was a smashing failure. The plants grew, and grew large and fast, but the next crop of seeds were only half-ripe before frost killed the plants. They weren't even slightly hardy in South Carolina. I suspect that the plants would have died if I had waved a glass of ice water menancingly in their direction. Anyway, I was stuck with thick, not really woody but very dense trunks to cut down and large roots to dig up. Wasn't really worth the bother, IMHO.

Reply to
Darren Garrison