Gulf of Mexico and health?

If you live near it, read this -

Kolenovsky

J Kolenovsky

Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

I live in Houston, on the side nearest Galveston, close to Friendswood. What about Brio? If you live in the area you know about Brio (which is close to me) which is in the top 10 of the worst sites in the US and is so bad it has had to be cemented over because it cannot be cleaned. I think I would be more concerned wioth the refineries and chemical plants re Texas City, Houston Ship Channel, Lamarque (did I spell that right?), Deer Park, Galena Park, Pasadena, ect. than people who want to live on the beach. And while I don't agree with cementing over the waterfront I also know that if it were not for the seawall Galveston Island would probably not have much left of it fter all the storms that have hit.

Shell

Kolenovsky

Shell91

Perhaps he lives in the area and wanted to post the information with a relevent subject line. It is certainly applicable to more than Gulf residents. I live 3 blocks from Chesapeake Bay and am officially taxed $40/yr (last time I looked) for "runoff" into the Bay, in spite of the fact that I don't water, fertilize, or use insecticides on my lawn, and don't wash the car at home (and rarely elsewhere) or flush chemicals into the street or sewer system. It *does* make me peevish when I see the chem trucks roll up across the street to do the damage I'm paying for.

Reply to
Frogleg

Many great comments, Yes, I know about Brio. The book is put out by the Texas A & M University Sea Grant College Program and the Watersmart principles contained within can be applied to anyone, anywhere, anytime. =

J. Kolenovsky =

J Kolenovsky

The book is put out by the Texas A & M University Sea Grant College Program and the Watersmart principles contained within can be applied to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Great Lakes, Cheasapeake or any watershed that empties in to a larger body of water which ultimately ends up in basins (seas, oceans).

One of the supporters of the program is John S. Jacobs:

Having been on several Master Naturalist field trips with John as leader revealed this to me.

J. Kolenovsky

(186 links to the environment)

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Roy, we need more people like you who actually care about wetlands being drained. =

Wetlands are nature's kidneys and home to the seafood industry at large. That is a fairly large economic impact for Ala, Ms and FLA.

You mentioned asphalt. The asphalt that is upland from a large watershed, beit, Gulf of Mexico. Mississippi River, Atlantic, Pacific, Great Lakes, is a way for motor oil to be washed in to it when rainsfall occurs on that asphalt. Or the guy who dumped his anti-freeze, motor oil, cement or whatever else in to the sewer system. Look at

See the storm sewer? Do you over-fertlize? Use pesticides or herbicides? This is waht the book is about - whether the title is St. Andrews Bay (you know where that is), Great Lakes, Atlantic, Pacific, Chesapeake or anywhere else.

I never was a power boater - 18' sloop. 22' yawl and 26' sloop and sailed upsteam Galveston Bay only.

Personally, I never was crazy about the beach. But what washes up on it is what is dumped into the watersheds hundres of miles upstream (and with help from jet skis, boats etc) =

I spent a week in the panhandle of Florida and it is a nice eco-region. =

I'll work on my end over here and maybe you and others can work on your end over there.

J. Kolenovsky

environmental resource with over 186 links)

Roy wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Wetlands are

Not just in terms of toxic runoff (although it's going to be hard to tell people to give up cars and driving!), but in paving over the 'sponge' wetlands and even dampish spaces provide. A local Bayfront surburb here is laced with streams and marshes, and was rather prone to flooding when mostly a semi-rural fishing and agricultural area. In the past 25 years, it's become "developed" with housing, commercial strips, and widened roads. That is, a substantial area of 'sponge' has been paved over. And now there's a *terrific* flooding problem there, and all kinds of plans to drain, re-tool, control, manage, etc. My dentist is there, and the office called a year or 2 ago to cancel an app't because the main road was under water after a nor'easter.

If I had it to do over again, I'd like to study hydrology. Both interesting statistical analysis and groovy field trips. :-) And I'd like to know why builders clear trees from a fairly damp area next to a reservoir/lake, leaving ground on which, before construction, water pools and stands for days, and then build a score of houses. And what are city/municipal planners *thinking* when giving them permits?

Reply to
Frogleg

1.> NO city services extend to that point, and that 2.> NO insurance company is allowed to insure them to live there, and 3.> NO money from FEMA is allowed to help them once the house is flooded. 4.> Of course, given the current direction of our government's administration,
Reply to
dkat

Great comments, again. The course of discussion did get away from pollution and started steering towards people living in flood plains. Though, while that is a serious topic of its own, I had intended to discuss Watersmart Landscaping,

and the associated practices of stewardship (no pesticides, no herbicides, redcued fertilizing, cut down on St, Augustine, group water thirsty plants together, mulch, recycler grass clippings, work organic material into soil, recapture rain water and filter back into land) in regard to the environment. We are borrowing tomorrow's land from our children today.

Reply to
J Kolenovsky