Gulf of Mexico and health?

If you live near it, read this -
http://www.onegulf.org/repair.html
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
Its ironic that the ones hollering about the Gulf getting messed up are the same ones with beachfront condo's with 90000000 sq yards of asphalt parking lots surounding the places, and also those beach front hotels that have asphalt and concrete all over the place because the average tourist don't like walking in the sand and getting sand spurs between their toes. The same ones that have all those jet skis and other power boats for rental making a oil slick on the surface wherever their at, the same ones that pay off congress and other politicians to turn a blind eye while they drain wetlands and marshy areas in the gulf region so they can add an addition to their 3,000 room hotel unit. Anymore if you visit the gulf if you don;t stay in a hotel on the beach you can not even get anywhere near the beach as its all private property, except for a very fewe so called public areas, that are so overused and trashed its like being in a landfill. No, if they want to save the Gulf they need to back these foolks up and clear the beaches of the buildings and rip up all those parking lots and condos, and put it back the way it was 20 years ago. The beach can dry up or blow away for all I care, as I do not own beachfront property and I refuse to get bunched up like a feedlot full of cows just to dip my toes in the water, and I'll certainly not spend $165.00 a ight to sleep in a hotel just to be confined to the htels section of beach either, so what happens to the gulf has little impact on me. Thats the way it is in the Florida and Alabama and Mississippi panhandle region........
wrote:

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
Thanks, V.
animaux wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
Roy, we need more people like you who actually care about wetlands being drained. http://www.urban-nature.org/publications/sprawl.htm . Wetlands are nature's kidneys and home to the seafood industry at large. That is a fairly large economic impact for Ala, Ms and FLA.
Roy wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
Wetlands are

<snip>
Not just in terms of toxic runoff (although it's going to be hard to tell people to give up cars and driving!), but in paving over the 'sponge' wetlands and even dampish spaces provide. A local Bayfront surburb here is laced with streams and marshes, and was rather prone to flooding when mostly a semi-rural fishing and agricultural area. In the past 25 years, it's become "developed" with housing, commercial strips, and widened roads. That is, a substantial area of 'sponge' has been paved over. And now there's a *terrific* flooding problem there, and all kinds of plans to drain, re-tool, control, manage, etc. My dentist is there, and the office called a year or 2 ago to cancel an app't because the main road was under water after a nor'easter.
If I had it to do over again, I'd like to study hydrology. Both interesting statistical analysis and groovy field trips. :-) And I'd like to know why builders clear trees from a fairly damp area next to a reservoir/lake, leaving ground on which, before construction, water pools and stands for days, and then build a score of houses. And what are city/municipal planners *thinking* when giving them permits?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.... (and I live near a bay in Long Island Sound)

1.> NO city services extend to that point, and that 2.> NO insurance company is allowed to insure them to live there, and 3.> NO money from FEMA is allowed to help them once the house is flooded. 4.> Of course, given the current direction of our government'sadministration,

Great comments, again. The course of discussion did get away from pollution and started steering towards people living in flood plains. Though, while that is a serious topic of its own, I had intended to discuss Watersmart Landscaping, http://www.watersmart.cc /, and the associated practices of stewardship (no pesticides, no herbicides, redcued fertilizing, cut down on St, Augustine, group water thirsty plants together, mulch, recycler grass clippings, work organic material into soil, recapture rain water and filter back into land) in regard to the environment. We are borrowing tomorrow's land from our children today.
--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
I live in Houston, on the side nearest Galveston, close to Friendswood. What about Brio? If you live in the area you know about Brio (which is close to me) which is in the top 10 of the worst sites in the US and is so bad it has had to be cemented over because it cannot be cleaned. I think I would be more concerned wioth the refineries and chemical plants re Texas City, Houston Ship Channel, Lamarque (did I spell that right?), Deer Park, Galena Park, Pasadena, ect. than people who want to live on the beach. And while I don't agree with cementing over the waterfront I also know that if it were not for the seawall Galveston Island would probably not have much left of it fter all the storms that have hit.
If you live near it, read this -
http://www.onegulf.org/repair.html
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
--
J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
- http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business

Perhaps he lives in the area and wanted to post the information with a relevent subject line. It is certainly applicable to more than Gulf residents. I live 3 blocks from Chesapeake Bay and am officially taxed $40/yr (last time I looked) for "runoff" into the Bay, in spite of the fact that I don't water, fertilize, or use insecticides on my lawn, and don't wash the car at home (and rarely elsewhere) or flush chemicals into the street or sewer system. It *does* make me peevish when I see the chem trucks roll up across the street to do the damage I'm paying for.
Many great comments, Yes, I know about Brio. The book is put out by the Texas A & M University Sea Grant College Program and the Watersmart principles contained within can be applied to anyone, anywhere, anytime.
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com
--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
The book is put out by the Texas A & M University Sea Grant College Program and the Watersmart principles contained within can be applied to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Great Lakes, Cheasapeake or any watershed that empties in to a larger body of water which ultimately ends up in basins (seas, oceans).
One of the supporters of the program is John S. Jacobs:
http://www.urban-nature.org/publications/allison.htm http://www.urban-nature.org/publications/sprawl.htm http://www.urban-nature.org/publications/pdf/TheSolutionToTexasSprawl.pdf
Having been on several Master Naturalist field trips with John as leader revealed this to me.
J. Kolenovsky http://www.celestialhabitats.com (186 links to the environment)
--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP