Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 3 of 6

It is good, but I prefer it minimally cooked. When I cook shrimp, I do it in a very hot pan with butter and olive oil with garlic, dill weed and lemon pepper (salt free). Toss it around in the pan until it just turns pink.
I like raw octopus and tuna, but not squid. Squid gotta be braised or deep fried. ;-d

<lol> I know what you mean! Did you see my jpeg?

It also grows forever!

I've made pickled eggs using beet juice from the cans and pickle juice from the jars I buy at the grocery store. :-) That's a way to cheat making your own cucumber or okra pickles. Get the brand of pickles you like from the store, (I like Claussens), eat the pickles and save the commercial juice for pickling! I keep it in the 'frige.

Hm. I'll have to look for that! I like to steam radishes in stews and cooked veggie mixes, greens and all.

Yes they are! See above for radish greens. :-) Those are tossed by most people.

Oh gods. Both Broccoli and Cauliflower greens are GOOD! I always add them to the steaming mix. ;-d But, I do love greens. Never tried eating carrot tops, just fed them to the bird. I imagine, if nothing else, they'd be good for stock. They have a rather intense flavor. I always use celery leaves as well, and I freeze the tough asparagus stems to use in stock.

Indeed! :-) I finally started saving a LOT more trimmings in the freezer for stock. I've been amazed at the difference that "garbage" has made in the intensity of my stock flavor. I use stock mostly for making rice. I never cook rice in just water.
I've got some beef rib bones from a local BBQ place that I go to occasionally. I'll be using that smoky beef stock to make lentils.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Once again my dad would have me out on the swamp ice. Break a hole and shoot carp that came for air. 1955
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Sold our rats to local black folk eat some.
Our community was made up of poor blacks, whites, jews and what ever got here. Hand pumps for water and wood or coal for heat. We all were driven out to make for modern expansion. We called it the meadows where my back yard was a large swamp of a few hundred acres. The Philadelphia airport is real close to where I grew up. BTw the projects failed and the area is now a wasted community. They took 1 out of every 3 homes and it is still like that.

meat.
Unknown to me.

I'm not feeling elderly but I'd like to sleep sound and not know what Tinnitus and other health things mean. Looking at my efforts to be healthy I some times the effort was for naught. But when I jump over a curb I think yea.
Bill
<
http://youtube.com/watch?v
1n4U9YyaI>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

It's handfishing for catfish. You quietly wade along the banks and around brush piles, gently and sloooowly sliding your hand into likely spots around the piles and holes in the bank. If a catfish is present, often nesting, it will usually nip your fingers and release. After crapping yourself, and not flailing around, you either slide back and grab gills or let it bite again and stick your fingers, or if it is large, your arm in and hang on and retrieve the fish. You can imagine the problems this can present. I never did like this, though it is effective. Soemthing about being bitten and shredded, when you can't see what is happening that is just not too........fun.

Know the feeling...we keep on keepin' on do't we.

Nice video......it is nice to see again what has heretofore been archived only in memory. Youtube is great. THanks Bill. Sent me on a search and watch of Bobby Darin......Mack the Knife...has some special memories.
Charlie
In article

Who was Tony Martin? I don't remember him. I'm with you on the Tinnitus. A little peace and quiet would be nice.
--

Billy

In article

Mom used to can meat. It keeps for years that way. A pressure cooker is a godsend.

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night. Works well for me.
I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)
Stretching exercises keep me mobile.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Glad to know we aren't the only ones like this. Fan always at night. When we travel we must carry a fan. Winter and summer. Night silence is....unnerving. ;-)

I've met others like this too. When I went hunting last month, the dead silence out on the prairie (except for the occasional screech of the barn owls in the old shed next to the trailer) made it so I could not sleep. I bought a small fan at wal-mart post-haste!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Bill wrote:

water tank.... We only wanted to get rid of the mosquitos. Oh hell. I remember the saying " its hard, when you find yourself in the middle of a mudhole full of alligators that you only came to drain the swamp" Shhooo no fishing allowed!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Seriously, try them. Carp feeds are big time around here, but you don't have to get far from NW Mo before people think you are nutz.
Carp are fun as hell to catch...they fight like a bitch for a bit then usually roll right in. If you don't have a net, grab them quick with a thumb in the eye and a couple in the gills or they often go like hell again. Easy to break a line on setting the hook, but I haven't had this happen since using fireline/spiderwire stuff. Run your line thru an egg sinker and anchor it about 18-24 inches above the hook with a split, so it can slide thru the egg. Use a smallish treble baited with a sweet type doughball, or straight hook with sweet corn. Carp have small mouths. Give'em a bit to mouth the bait but be ready to have them give it hell. Keep a fairly tight line so you can watch your tip. More than once I've had to make a jump in the river to grab me rod. Usually happens when you are tipping up the can, if you can imagine that ;-)
Ahhhh.......nighttime, sandbar on the river, lantern light, cooler, bucket-butt, copperheads.....good times!
Recipes for carp bait can be googled. They'll sometimes go for nightcrawlers, but prefer sweet. I've also had good luck with anise flavored bait. Big time fun in England.
Prepared bait is available here in Hicksville. ;-)
Go gettem'!
Charlie

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:55:26 -0700, "Zootal"

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)
Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different song. :-)
Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.
Care Charlie

We have alligator gar around here. I've noted that many fisherman toss them on the bank.
I've never caught one. Might consider spear fishing for one. I'm not convinced an average fishing line would hold one with those teeth!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Hehehehe.... seriously, though, I'll eat almost anything, and if I could find someone to fix me a nice carp, I'd eat it right down. Gar too. :-)
On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:26:12 -0700, "Zootal"

Ahhh....you have redeemed yourself. ;-)
I have no doubt you would enjoy.
You sound like my kinda person!
Charlie
In article

That's what I get for not reading the entire post before replying. <g> I was not fully awake yet. ;-)
Sorry!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I have _tons_ of red wrigglers living in my back yard!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I've eaten roe sacks but have not tried milt sacks.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
<Charlie> wrote in message

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp': http://www.charliecarp.com/
In article

This should be good;-))