Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 1 of 6
NapiSan OxyAction MAX
http://www.vanishstains.com.au/whats_new.shtml#1
Is this sort of grey water ok for lawn watering? What if this grey water was used for deep soil irrigation near plants and shrubs? (This is much less of an issue at this stage). I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Gas Bag wrote:

Have a look here. >>> http://tinyurl.com/6n5mz6 It seems to have all the answers...
g'day gas bag,
pity to waste it resource wastefull lawns but whatever, it won't harm the lawn well never did when i was that way inclined.
we use ours on our vege' gardens etc.,. but then we make our own laundry gel and have never found the need to add things like nappy san whatever, mostly promotion gimmicks.
On Thu, 1 May 2008 01:22:16 -0700 (PDT), Gas Bag
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

I agree with this very much. Lawns are an long outdated waste of resources and land, reminiscent of masters and subservients and attitudes from a time long gone and best forgotten. Let alone a major source of poisoning and pollution.......

And to you as well
Charlie
Charlie wrote in wrote:

hm? the original manicured wide sweeping lawns at country manor houses were sheep pastures... the whole gardners mowing lawns thing came much later. Britan, at the time, had enough moisure to support broad pastures & the sheep groomed & fertilized. it was a gain, not a loss as it is now. lee <contemplating windmills>
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

What are you contemplating windmills for? To pump water from your well?
wrote in message

electricty generation. i'm on a ridge & there is always some breeze. i don't expect to make money, but if i can offset the US$300+/month in electric bills a little, i'd be happy. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Rhode Island offers grants and the below URL reflects RI installation. Perhaps New Hampshire does as well.
Good luck!
Bill
<http://www.entech-engineering.com/Examples_and_Economics.htm#WES
<http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/01/wind_turbine_lca.php
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

wrote in message

ye gods! an inane commentator adding nothing to the convo. yes, the small windmills don't need a whole lot of breeze. 4- 6kph is enough. we get that fairly steady most of the year (& higher frequently). i guess it makes up for this latitude's low sun angle ;) BTW, Fran, could you pop me off an email? i have some cancer questions for you. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
enigma wrote:

That was an attempt at humour. This subject is so boring. Windmills like this can be imported directly and cheaply from China these days....Is that adding to the conversation?
I know, I hate to see all that water to down the drain too! I've used my laundry water for the lawn and shrubs with no problem. I haven't tried it on veggies.
If you use boi-degradeable SOAP not detergent you can use the wash water. The rinse water is fine by you have to be careful about that fabric softener.
Plus, deep watering is better for shrubs than a sprinkling anyway. Good for you!
In article

Perfect storm indeed. We had good rain Nov. to March and then the driest March-April ever. We are looking at sever water rationing at the same time the price of food is skyrocketing. I think I need a water tank.
--

Billy

In article

Get some food-grade poly drums and set them up to catch the rainwater from the downspouts on your house. If you want to spend a lot of money, you can buy rain barrels that have hose bibs already installed in them. I think Gardener's Supply sells them.
A caveat: you may want to put a piece of plywood or something over the top of the barrels, to keep debris out. At the very least, put a little piece of wood -- a stick or something -- in there, so little birds won't drown. If they get in there, they can climb onto the stick, dry out and fly away.
Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their vinegar in them.
Jan
Jan Flora wrote:

Why would food grade drums be necessary for catching rain water running off a non food grade roof... to do what... pour on the non food grade ground. Am I missing something, or why wouldn't an ordinary plastic trash can be suitable?
You can buy low quality for like $10-$15 but they will decay from UV exposure and probably crack from freezing temps.
I have two of these, excellent quality: http://tinyurl.com/79bqf
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdF994-1097-8632-92/20&lpage=none
In article

Last cistern I saw was in Ohio in 1968. Living in NJ no need at this time. Ground water is about 20 feet down. My well is about 40 feet down but all the new is about 100. Nitrates are the major contaminate and old gasoline tanks and oil residues.
Bill
<http://waltonfeed.com/old/cistern.html
<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=cistern&ie=UTF-8 & oe=UTF-8>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Jan Flora wrote:

I don't know that's true... like I said, perhaps the cheap ones but my Rubbermaid trash cans have been out in all sorts of weather for five years now and show no signs of deterioration.... and just there you claim to be using the very same trash cans to catch water off your roof for drinking (potable).

You're lucky to have a free source, most folks have to pay... because such items that are made so well that they're reusable aren't typically free for the taking... and food stores pay a hefty deposit on those containers so they are not in the habit of giving them away, maybe you glom/appropriate yours.
I'd be very wary of any claims from someone who warns that water collection vessels for irrigating the lawn need to be food grade and then totally ignores the question.
In article

You can pull your head out of your backside now Shelly. So what was that thing about Christians, and why is it an unfortunate name?
--

Billy

In article

Hey now, be nice! :-) I've seen pics of Sheldon's gardens and produce. And he is a cat lover. <g> His garden produce is gorgeous.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

OK, though it pains me. Shelly, you can re-insert your head if it makes you feel better, but I'm still curious about why Christian is an unfortunate name.
--

Billy

In article

I wonder about using a good ol' fashioned wood barrel, sealed with bees wax?
It'd be more decorative at the very least.