Great Seed Website

I'm an avid gardener, and I've visited many seed retail sites (Territorial, Harris, Parks, Stokes, Burpee, just to name a few) and I did a search for "seeds" and came across "Johnny's Selected Seeds"

I'm a home gardener, so I chose that path (like Harris, they have 2 paths, one for home gardeners and one for market growers). And they have *great* selections! They have listings for their new items, for organic varieties, for heirloom seeds (for seed savers), and they even have an "internet only" category as well as a clearance section. Lots of different ways to find seeds you want (the clearance area had lots of accessories, gardening tools, books and the like).

Most varieties have cultural information that is available on the product details pages (this is something none of the other sites seem to do), and on some pages, like for Hybrid Sweet corn varieties, they have links to additional information for growers! The site doesn't just sell products, it teaches gardeners.

Some of their seed prices are a bit higher (not by much), but the excellent information on their website and the quick checkout (I LOVE that if I leave the checkout for any reason, it brings me back to where I left off - I didn't have to start all over from the beginning). They also have a free garden catalog to offer. I placed my order happily. I laughed afterward. I had only planned to spend a little time getting my favorite seeds, but I wound up spending a good

30 minutes on the site just reading information.

It's nice to know that if I have questions, I can simply go to their website, find my variety, and look it up. I do wish they'd create a resource library, so that getting to information was just one-click away, but the fact that they have so much info available is terrific. I placed my order with them, and I can't wait to see what happens.

Anyway, if any of you are also avid gardeners, and you'd like to check them out- they are in Maine (where I am - and I also emailed them to ask if they'd list specific cold-tolerant varieties...). The main address is

If you are a home gardener, the URL it took me to was
and the catalog request (free to US, Canada and Mexico) was here:
(I guess the hg = home gardener :).

And when I emailed the webmaster with my suggestions (for cold tolerant varieties and a more concise informational area, I received a quick, polite reply. They just seem to *care*. In a world of hard business these days, that makes a difference to me. Just thought I'd share my great experience. Hope it helps you!

Alisa Keimel (excited all over again about gardening)

Reply to
Alisa Keimel

Johnny's is among the top 20 on the Garden watchdog list. see:

buy several things from Johnny's each year. Other great outfits are Pinetree, Territorial, Cooks Garden, and Baker Creek Heirloom. Happy gardening!

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill Litchfield

As a market gardener, my main seed order goes to Johnny's. They're reliable and responsive. My orders are filled quickly. They don't carry all the varieties I like to grow, but they carry most of them.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler