Gourds

I bought a couple of small gourds today at the grocery store, I'm not sure if they are cucurbita or lagenaria. They *look* like bottle gourds, but are a little too colorful. I want to try curing and drying them to make yerba mate cups. (the shells might not be thick enough if they are cucurbits) They are still kind of heavy and solid.

Do I dry them whole, or cut the necks off and scoop them out before drying?

I thought all gourds were lagenaria when I bought them, and that's what made them gourds instead of squash. For $2 I learned something today that I should have known already, so it wasn't a total waste :D

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Brooklyn1

Thanks, that's the best web site I've seen on the topic. (I still hope someone chimes in with actual experience)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob