how to grow large gourds?

We have a robust gourd vine that is putting out a nice sized dipper gourd. There is one additional smaller gourd starting. Two more small ones also. In order to encourage really large gourds, would it be better to trim off the smaller gourds, or does it make any difference as to how large they'll grow? Thanks

Reply to
doctoroe

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Disclaimer: I have never tried this.

Someone (father or grandfather, can't remember who) once told me that you make a lengthwise slit in the vine (and maybe they meant "stem" but I'm not sure) above the fruit and stuff one end of a piece of cloth through the slit. Then you get a container of water -- a plastic gallon-sized milk jug with cap would be good -- and you run the strip of cloth into the water jug like a wick (I guess you put a hole in the cap and run the cloth through it) so the fruit has a continual supply of water.

Let me know if it works.

Barring that, try a ton o' horse poo. I have a draft horse and a ton o' horse poo. Want some?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Gourds are very similar to pumpkins. To grow a prize-sized pumpkin you want one pumpkin to one vine.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
doctoroe

Reply to
doctoroe

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If I put any more horse manure in my garden I'm going to have to shoe it.

Reply to
FragileWarrior