Good trellis plants

Page 2 of 2

The distantly related twining snapdragon, Asarina scandens, has similar flowers, blooms profusely all summer, and climbs a good 6 feet in a few months. It would need to be started from seeds and is probably annual in Paul's zone.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/18/10 8:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

Grapes take some work. If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in the winter. During the growing season, they might have to be tied to the trellis. Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more bushy growth.
I'm not saying that grapes are bad. I have three vines of my own. I just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Yet, on another NG you suggested an arbor for shade in a "recreational island" I am planning for my back yard, and suggested grapes to cover it. Several varieties, in fact.
If there's that much work involved to get ripe grapes for eating, maybe I should use a fast-grown non-food plant instead. ??
HB
Add pictures here
✖

No, what's wrong with me -- it was on THIS NG!
 you suggested an arbor for shade in a

Add pictures here
✖

Star Jasmine would be a good choice. Potato Vine Solanum jasminoides Various Jasmines Bougainvillea Passion vine Cape Honeysuckle maybe
Stay AWAY from Virgina Creeper, it is not a creeper in Calif. It will rampantly take over the trellis your yard and perhaps the walls of your house. I have fighting one on the neighbors side of the fence and now it is back again I would also stay away from Wisteria, gets huge.
Paul go to your library and find a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book In the front is a guide to types of plants, such as vines, shrubs, ground covers etc and zones they do well in. There is a wealth of information there.
Emilie NorCal You might even decide to buy the book.
Add pictures here
✖
Trachleospernum jasminoides is a great evergreen for a warm site with some sun and there are a lot of them about in instant sizes fairly cheap shipped over from Tuscany but it will not stand cold saturated roots in winter. In the shade you can't beat the evergreen Pileostegia viburnoides for complete cover, but it is slow to get going and hard to find.
Don't overlook hedera colchica
I'd try and avoid clematis species unless you like interfering as all Clematis naturally tend towards bare stems at the bottom and leafy growth and flowers untop as they have evolved to grow through trees etc. so they don't really screen much.
--
Sambo

Add pictures here
✖

Others have mentioned all of the perennials I thought of, but if you don't mind planting seeds there are lots of annuals that would fit the bill (if winter privacy is not important). The hyacinth bean vine (Lablab purpureus) grows fast and lush and sports multiple sprigs of nicely scented lavender flowers which turn into attractive purple seed pods. It reseeds freely. Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) is a fast growing vine similar to morning glory which produces many large white flowers which open at dusk and smell really good. It attracts hawkmoths and probably will reseed in your area. Spanish flag (Ipomoea lobata) is another fast-growing annual vine that produces novel multihued flower sprigs in abundance and probably would reseed for you. Cup and saucer vine (Cobea scandens) can climb pretty high but sometimes takes quite a while before it really takes off and starts blooming.
Add pictures here
✖