Good trellis plants

Page 1 of 2
I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is a good plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a lot of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?
Add pictures here
✖

Where are you?
Do you need privacy in the winter too?
Lots of vines will cover the trellis.
Many vines will then attempt to crush the trellis and then take over your house.
Add pictures here
✖

SoCal. Ideally this would be a perenial if that is the right word. A bush of some kind.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 18, 2:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Notable among these is Wisteria. Innocent me had no idea, when I planted a couple of vines on each side of back porch. Six years after removing, they are STILL coming up within 3-4 ft. radius of original plants.
Add pictures here
✖

Grapes come to mind with malabar spinach as an edible vine mixed in.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Grapes are deciduous. I thought you didn't have any soil to plant in?
--
- Billy
✖

This is for my front porch where there is soil.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖

95% of his yard is patio, so he is very restricted.
Add pictures here
✖

95 percent of my BACK yard. Most people have a front yard as well.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖

Morning Glory
Add pictures here
✖
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Your specification is contradictory. You want it to grow quickly until it covers the trellis and then to grow slowly, how can that be?
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:45:26 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

He don't say it should begin to grow slowly, he says not a lot of attention and *occasional trimming*. That description fits a lot of trellis plantings... even grapes require only two prunings per year. And the growth habit of most plants slow down as they mature.
Add pictures here
✖

Well if I knew better I'd not be asking now would I?
Paul
Add pictures here
✖
Paul M. Cook wrote:

The growth rate is determined by the nature of the plant (genetics) and the conditions. The rate will usually slow down with age because it will start to run into resource limits but that may or may not be the size you want. My point is that it will not magically start fast and then slow down at just the right size. Given enough expertise and effort you can manipulate plants to do amazing things but you were asking for something that will do what you want 'out of the box' so to speak. All I am saying is you will have to accept some compromise either by waiting for a slow grower to get to the size you want or by doing more work pruning a fast one, or somewhere in between the two.
David
Add pictures here
✖
Paul M. Cook wrote:

That depends, of course, on where you live.
silver lace vine trumpet vine woodbine ivy wisteria grapes
gloria p
Add pictures here
✖
morning glory...wisteria....and virginia creeper I have them all plus grapes and love the shade/privacy

Add pictures here
✖
How would clematis do in zone 9?
Add pictures here
✖
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says they don't require especially great soil. They sound perfect to me.
Add pictures here
✖
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Snapdragons are annuals and they don't vine.
gloria p
Add pictures here
✖

Snapdragons do make an excellent cutting flower. That's why I like them.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad

Add pictures here
✖