Giant Sagitaria/Pickrel Reed

Just bought some plants to redo W. border. Bought at Huntington Botanical Gardens plant sale. So you'd think I got proper advice?

Question is about two plants that have the graceful upward line that I needed, but seem to be aquatic (?)

Giant Sagitaria (sp) and Pickrel Reed.

Seller did tell me they would do OK along narrow W. border (backed by rose-colored block wall). These plants will be interspersed with Penstamon.

However now I'm worried since I found all info on the Web about these plants describes aquatic/pond usage.

This is So.Calif coastal. Mild climate. Plenty of sun much of the year; less when sun is low in the Southern sky.

Your advice appreciated.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

*****>However now I'm worried since I found all info on the

Pretty please??? Thanks..

Reply to
Aspasia

I've only seen them used as bog plants, and I don't think that penstemon would tollerate that much water.

Reply to
Charles

"Giant Sagittaria" and "Pickerel Weed" are aquatic plants.

They grow best in wet soil or even partially submerged in water.

A typical perennial border would be too dry for them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........