Getting weeds out o0f a cactus garden?

DOes anyone have any bright ideas for getting weeds out of a catus garden? We just spent over $400 in March to have the whole thing dug out and re-done because a tree weas growing up in the middle of the garden.
Now we have weeds growing up.
If it matters, it's a prockly pear cactus garden, and I'm in Dallas, TX.
Babs

What makes the weeds in your cactus garden any different that weeds in your veggie garden? They respond exactly the same to digging/pulling/careful poisoning. I never had any problems getting weeds out of my cactus garden in Las Vegas as long as I was careful to keep my body parts away from the nastier Opuntia (aka jumping) cacti.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

<< let the cut weeds lay there if you dont have a long handled pick up tool. Ingrid
LIE! LIE! LIE! Lay is transitive, green-fingered Klingons! zemedelec
When I weed around my prickly pear cacti I drape a tablecloth made of plastic on one side, and felt or other cloth lining on the other. I leave the plastic side facing out. I also wear long dishwashing gloves and two long sleeve shirts. Those spines are very tricky and find their way into skin very easily. Since you are in Dallas, you can easily find a store which sells the 20% vinegar and use that with a bit of orange oil as a surfactant and spray the weeds in the blazing hot sun. Use a large cardboard to keep the spray off the cacti. That will also work. You can buy the 20% acetic vinegar at Rohde's www.beorganic.com or Northaven Gardens www.nhg.com
On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:49:29 -0500, David & Barbara Schmidt

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
David & Barbara Schmidt said:

I use a really long needle-nosed pliers to pull weeds from my patch of prickly pear cactus. The biggest problems are maple keys helicoptering in, followed by Siberian elm seeds (which, thankfully, do not fall in large drifts in this part of the yard).