Gardening newbie needs daffodil help

Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing. When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct sunlight.

Thanks for your help. Ashley

Reply to
writer272002

You should have left them in the ground until the leaves turned brown and then transplanted them.

Ask before action.

Reply to
Travis M.

Hm. So does that mean it's too late to salvage them now? (Yes, I should have asked. I'm sorry.)

Reply to
writer272002

No, heel them in somewhere and keep them watered until the tops turn brown. Then move them to their permanent spot in the fall. Heeling in means digging a shallow trench, put the bulbs and roots in it and cover them with soil, water well. Leave the tops in the sun. It may take them a year or so to recover and bloom again, i.e., they may skip blooming next spring.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Great! Thank you.

Reply to
writer272002

Ooops... if you want to move a bulb that's still in leaf, I would have suggested digging their new home first, then lifting the entire clump and moving them directly to the new hole, then filling and keeping things watered (generally, bulbs don't like soggy soil, but they do like moderately moist). With luck, you won't disturb them so much that they dry off their leaves without making reserve photosynthate for next season.

Since you've already dug them, I'd transplant ASAP, and do a little coddling for awhile. Don't expect much in the way of flowering next spring, but maybe the spring after.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

And when you transplant, make _sure_ that's where you want them to be. You will never get rid of them once they've settled in. I'd be surprised if they don't show up again where you originally found them, as well.

I have a patch from our house's previous owners that's in a really bad place. Dug up five pounds of bulbs and gave them away.

They were back again the next year.

--Nan

Reply to
nblomgren