ford vs murray

I have an acre of lawn and an equal amount of new pasture needing to be cut this year. I also need to tow a small manure spreader every day. Now, a new 20 hp Murray sells for $2000 at Home Depot, while an older, yet well-kept 1996 15 hp Ford can be bought for $2200 at my neighbour's farm across the road. He says the Ford is a better tractor, able to change oil and filters, etc. What do you think? km
g'day jk,
don't know if i can add much but might you be camparing apples and oranges a little bit?
the ford will be a purpose built farm type tractor, diesel motor and lots of other stuff that comes with the equipment, and the murray if i get it right is more or less a lawn type tractor and maybe even petrol engine as well, will do far less work than the real thing.
if i am close to the mark then for me i would be going for the ford, it'll do far more for you as it is designed to be a tractor for any sort of work related to farming and is going to do it far more reliably.
i would also be taking some advice from the farmer as well.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening

Does it have an aircooled Briggs? A standard transmission. all of these were made under the Ford name. The compact tractors will have water cooled diesels. These little Japanese tractors are excellent but I doubt you will get one even 10 years old for that price.
Most of the Murrays (and MTDs) are primarily lawn mowers although there is an ocassional garden tractor model. They are decent cheap mowers but even the lawn and garden tractors are not much for pulling loads. Expect gearbox and bearing problems if you pull many heavy loads and that includes the Ford lawnnmowers as well as Murray and MTD.
jk snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JK) said:

Murray is about the cheapest lawn tractor made, $2000 sound very expensive. I don't know what the Ford is worth, I didn't even know Ford made lawn tractors until today. If your neighbor is a decent person and they are willing to sell it to a close neighbor, it is probably well take care of. I would spend a few days shopping around and if you want a quality mower, skip Murray and look at John Deere, Wheel Horse (Toro), Cub Cadet just to name a few.
Just curious, why are spreading manure every day?
--
McQualude

ok jk,
so from way over here down under i learnt that ford have a lawn tractor with their name on it, we learn something new every day hey? lol. is it actualy a machine that ford produce from the ground up or is it a badge machien ie.,. another make of lawn tractor dressed up a bit with the ford logo on it.
anyway can you tell us is the farmer selling a purpose made tractor, with hydrayulic, pto and all that goes with a piece of farm machinery or is he selling a lawn tractor aka rider mower? 2 years ago we bought a second hand tractor with some implements for more than what we could have paid for a new rider mower/lawn tractor that won't do anywhere near what a real tractor will.
i did wonder about the manure bit as well so will look for your follow up post to the other poster.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening

riding lawn mowers, lawn and garden tractors and compact tractors. The compacts were Japanese. I don't know which company made the lawn tractors and riding mowers but Murray and MTD make most of these on the American market.including the Cub Cadet.
thanks farmerdill,
so fiat own the ford tractor/lawntractor manufacturing now?
there is a lot of badging going on with garden machinery i tend to stick with models that are manufactured by the brand maker.
enjoy
len
snipped
--
happy gardening
Originally when ford sold L & G tractors under their FORD name they were made for them by ............yep, Murray. Ford has not made a gas powered L & G tractor for some years now, or at least thats what my Ford Dealership told me last August when I was in the market for a new L & G to replace a 30 year old JD. The smallest tractors that Ford sold were still just small diesel powered and all had 4 wheel drive, just not suitable for a L & G with ag type tires. Fine for in a garden but he%% on a lawn. Last I remember seeing any small gas powered Ford L & G in the dealers was about in the late 80's or early 90's. I would have to belive that 2000 bucks for a used L & G tractor gas burner type made by Ford is worth that kind of money. Its got to be 10+ years old at least, and they certainly do not hold the value like a JD or Kubota or other major manuf. does.

Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Let's see which ones they would be.
MTD makes: Cub Cadet Troy-Bilt Yard-Man Ryobi Yard Machines Bolens White Outdoor Cub Cadet Commercial MTD
Toro makes: Wheel Horse Ford New Holland
Electrolux makes: Sears Craftsman Husqvarna Poulan Pro
WCI makes: Ranch king Poulon Pro Weed Eater Husqvarna Jonsered
To name a few. I gleaned these from product recalls.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Thanks for the feedback. Other recent and important findings, like Fords cast iron parts vs Murray's stamped metal frame are pointing me toward the Ford. The same new Ford sells here for around 4000. Another point to consider.
Re: manure. From a barnful of horses. Can't get the buggers to hold it overnight till they get to the pasture. km
jk snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JK) wrote:

I will never buy another cast mower. I had one and every time my mower blade hit a stone it took a piece out the side of the mower. My mower housing was held together with brass patches.
Now I only buy steel mower housings. Steel is stamped, you can't cast it.
Now when it comes to the engine, a cast iron engine is hard to beat. They last forever.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
jk snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JK) wrote:

You need anal retentive horses.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman