Forage Oats

I was at my local garden center today and bought some forage oats to try in my one acre yard. Much of it is a fairly steep hillside with poor soil. My hope is that the oats will help to choke down some weeds while providing some food for deer and other animals.

Has anyone tried this? I'd like to hear opinions before I broadcast the seed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Gallagher

You didn't say where you are. Call your local NRCS boys & girls. In the phonebook under: Federal Govt.; USDA; NRCS or Natural Resources Conservation Service. Ask them. They know stuff like that. They're free. Our taxes pay for them, so use 'em.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

I don't know if forage oats are different than regular oats, but most grain producing plants.. including cheat grass and foxtail etc, grow until they set seed and mature it, then they die.. leaving yourself with one big fire hazard, so if you're not planning to harvest that grain, I wouldn't plant it as it will all dry up and be one big blaze waiting to happen. Deer are browsers, not grazers anyway, they'd rather eat your arborvitae. ;-)

Janice

Reply to
Janice