First proper garden - enthusiastic newbie - what are these plants?

Hi all
I've just bought my first proper house with garden, and whilst I have no experience at all of proper gardening I'm really going to make an effort to get to know my garden and do it properly.
One of my main stumbling blocks is not knowing what's in the garden already. There are some plants I've been able to identify but some I'm really not sure about. Would be really great if you experienced types could help me out getting started! Below are some photos of plants I'm not quite sure about... any leads?
Apologies - I can't seem to link in images in this post so I'll link them as separate images.
1. http://tinyurl.com/3ovnvpe
My mother in law thinks this might be Cataniasta?
2. http://tinyurl.com/43vrptx
Not a clue!
3. http://tinyurl.com/3lafo4a
Sorry, a little blurry! I think this had pink, small flowers at the end of summer.
4. http://tinyurl.com/3fadr2h
This seems to be growing at the foot of a birch tree. No idea what it is.
5. http://tinyurl.com/3d5mzn3
These flowers were pink a couple of weeks ago.
6. http://tinyurl.com/3exw8s2
Is this a camelia?
7. http://tinyurl.com/3muhdu4
This is quite a large shrub - maybe 2m high.
8. http://tinyurl.com/3sgefte
Not sure what this is. Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I pruned it back recently, so looked a little more bushy recently.
--
boogaloo

It's not cotoneaster - I think it's pyracantha (aka firethorn) and if not that then it could be a berberis? or a hawthorn?

Abelia (at least it is if I've matched the comment to the right pic - there is an abelia amongst the plants).
Perhaps it's this one following:

No.
Escallonia.
Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I

I wouldn't be, but I tend to have a slash and burn approach to plants in my garden - I don't have time to coddle and cosset.
Thanks a lot for the reply! Very, very much appreciated!
--
boogaloo

boogaloo;939197 Wrote: > Thanks a lot for the reply! Very, very much appreciated!
Hello
I took a look at your photos for you
1. Pyracantha 2. Possibly a Rhododendron 3. Olearia hastii 4. Photinia 5. Abelia 6. Possibly another Rhododendron 7. Arbutus unedo 8. Escallonia
Hope this helps
--
Cobralily

I am listing out some of the plants. Do try out these ones, I have tried them all, they will make your garden a beautiful one..
Begonia Calendula (Calendula officinalis) Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus - aka Dianthus) Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum coronarium) Clover (Trifolium species) Cornflower (Centaurea cynaus) Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis) Dandelions (Taraxacum officinalis) Day Lilies (Hemerocallis species) English Daisy (Bellis perennis)
--
Thelma23

Hi!
I've got most of names written down in order, hopefully this helps!
1. Pyracantha - soleil d'or 2. Choisya Ternata 3. Olearia Hastii 4. Photinia 'Red Robin' 5. Abelia x grandiflora 6. Rhododendron (not sure which without flower colour) 7. Arbutus Unedo (strawberry tree) one of my favourites! 8. Escallonia rubra (possibly macrantha)
I'm pretty certain on all of these so this should answer your question, good luck!
boogaloo;939156 Wrote: > Hi all

> experience at all of proper gardening I'm really going to make an effort > to get to know my garden and do it properly.

> already. There are some plants I've been able to identify but some I'm > really not sure about. Would be really great if you experienced types > could help me out getting started! Below are some photos of plants I'm > not quite sure about... any leads?

> them as separate images.

> of summer.

> is.

> pruned it back recently, so looked a little more bushy recently.
--
Benlannoy

Benlannoy;939544 Wrote: > Hi!

> good luck!
You guys are just phenomenal!!! Thank you SO much!!
--
boogaloo