First proper garden - enthusiastic newbie - what are these plants?

Hi all

I've just bought my first proper house with garden, and whilst I have no experience at all of proper gardening I'm really going to make an effort to get to know my garden and do it properly.

One of my main stumbling blocks is not knowing what's in the garden already. There are some plants I've been able to identify but some I'm really not sure about. Would be really great if you experienced types could help me out getting started! Below are some photos of plants I'm not quite sure about... any leads?

Apologies - I can't seem to link in images in this post so I'll link them as separate images.

    mother in law thinks this might be Cataniasta?

    a clue!

    Sorry, a little blurry! I think this had pink, small flowers at the end of summer.

    seems to be growing at the foot of a birch tree. No idea what it is.

    These flowers were pink a couple of weeks ago.

    this a camelia?

    This is quite a large shrub - maybe 2m high.

    sure what this is. Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I pruned it back recently, so looked a little more bushy recently.

Reply to
boogaloo

It's not cotoneaster - I think it's pyracantha (aka firethorn) and if not that then it could be a berberis? or a hawthorn?

Abelia (at least it is if I've matched the comment to the right pic - there is an abelia amongst the plants).

Perhaps it's this one following:

Escallonia.

Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I

I wouldn't be, but I tend to have a slash and burn approach to plants in my garden - I don't have time to coddle and cosset.

Reply to
FarmI

Thanks a lot for the reply! Very, very much appreciated!

Reply to
boogaloo

Hello

I took a look at your photos for you

  1. Pyracantha
  2. Possibly a Rhododendron
  3. Olearia hastii
  4. Photinia
  5. Abelia
  6. Possibly another Rhododendron
  7. Arbutus unedo
  8. Escallonia

Hope this helps

Reply to
Cobralily

I am listing out some of the plants. Do try out these ones, I have tried them all, they will make your garden a beautiful one..

Begonia Calendula (Calendula officinalis) Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus - aka Dianthus) Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum coronarium) Clover (Trifolium species) Cornflower (Centaurea cynaus) Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis) Dandelions (Taraxacum officinalis) Day Lilies (Hemerocallis species) English Daisy (Bellis perennis)

Reply to
Thelma23

Hi!

I've got most of names written down in order, hopefully this helps!

  1. Pyracantha - soleil d'or
  2. Choisya Ternata
  3. Olearia Hastii
  4. Photinia 'Red Robin'
  5. Abelia x grandiflora
  6. Rhododendron (not sure which without flower colour)
  7. Arbutus Unedo (strawberry tree) one of my favourites!
  8. Escallonia rubra (possibly macrantha)

I'm pretty certain on all of these so this should answer your question, good luck!

boogaloo;939156 Wrote:

Reply to
Benlannoy

You guys are just phenomenal!!! Thank you SO much!!

Reply to
boogaloo