English Lavendars

I recently pruned my English lavendar plants and they have all died. Any ideas what I did wrong?
Alan wrote:

When cutting any of the Lavandula species, always cut above the lowest living foliage. A bare stem will die back to its parent branch.
Also, lavenders prefer a relatively dry soil. When the demand for moisture is reduced because foliage has been reduced, cut back on watering. Otherwise, the plant might rot.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Alan wrote: