Elderberry Variety

Does anyone have any experience growing Elderberries? My main interest is in using them to make wine. There are three varieties handled by Edible Landscaping. They are Adams, Johns and Nova. They also cary three Eupopean varieties, Cut Leaf Elder, Variegated Elderberry and Black Beauty.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Let's see. I got Adams only, because there are enough wild ones around I did not need a second for pollination. Although it is listed by EL as good for shade, in the shade (I was hoping it would grow above the house shadow eventually, so as to get a white bloom show in front of the house in June) it did poorly. I took 3 cuttings/suckers from it before it died, and those cuttings are now growing vigorously in a place with poor, well drained soil that gets sun from sunrise until

1pm. I gave it no special care.

No berries yet. They are probably fairly strong, undemanding plants so long as they get decent sun. They seem happy with clay or sand,moist or well drained. I have another elderberry behind the garage, a full grown

15 ft bush, and my guess is that you need several plants to get wine. You can buy several, or buy two (one for pollination) and keep propagating the suckers as they appear. It is going to take a few years for you to get enough berries.
Reply to
simy1