Elderberry Check

Zone 6b, Kentucky..

I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa and Nigra alternated along the row.

A plus on this thought is that it fits into the "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard but I did want to double check..

Are both of these human edible? I'd assume they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate, wanted to double check on this.

I really want to do something edible along the back, be at least 6-10' tall and have a spread of around 6' wide, or can be pruned to keep this spread.

Seems like a good fit.

Any opinions on these or maybe something else which fruits and might be used as a hedge row? I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees as it's also for privacy.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I would do with them.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

: > Zone 6b, Kentucky.. : > : > I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as : > a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and : > thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa : > and Nigra alternated along the row. : > : > A plus on this thought is that it fits into the : > "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard : > but I did want to double check.. : > : > Are both of these human edible? I'd assume : > they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate, : > wanted to double check on this.

: Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I : would do with them.

Racemosa is usually not considered edible. Pity, Helsinki is full of them.

: > : > Any opinions on these or maybe something else : > which fruits and might be used as a hedge row? : > I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees : > as it's also for privacy. : > : > Thoughts?

How about Viburnum trilobum or V. lentago.

Reply to
Erkki Aalto

Ouch!

Reply to
Billy

Erkki Aalto wrote in news:foopls$9h5$ snipped-for-privacy@oravannahka.helsinki.fi:

the seeds are poisonous *in quantity*. the fruit is inedible (tastes bad) unless completely ripe & then is much better cooked (pies & jelly) with the seeds strained out. it's also used for making wine. Elderberries are a lot of work to prepare, but they are edible. the flower clusters can also be battered & deep fried (no, i haven't tried it. i'm not fond of fried foods) lee

Reply to
enigma

This plant does so well and is so invasive here in Texas that I have an elderberry compost heap. Thiis task required a huge chain, and I ripped it out by the roots. When I see a shoot, I immeditely cut it to the ground and so far this year.

Reply to
Jangchub