Elderberry Check

Zone 6b, Kentucky..
I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa and Nigra alternated along the row.
A plus on this thought is that it fits into the "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard but I did want to double check..
Are both of these human edible? I'd assume they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate, wanted to double check on this.
I really want to do something edible along the back, be at least 6-10' tall and have a spread of around 6' wide, or can be pruned to keep this spread.
Seems like a good fit.
Any opinions on these or maybe something else which fruits and might be used as a hedge row? I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees as it's also for privacy.
Thoughts?
Add pictures here
✖
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I would do with them.

Add pictures here
✖
: Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
: > Zone 6b, Kentucky.. : > : > I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as : > a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and : > thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa : > and Nigra alternated along the row. : > : > A plus on this thought is that it fits into the : > "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard : > but I did want to double check.. : > : > Are both of these human edible? I'd assume : > they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate, : > wanted to double check on this.
: Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I : would do with them.
Racemosa is usually not considered edible. Pity, Helsinki is full of them.
: > : > Any opinions on these or maybe something else : > which fruits and might be used as a hedge row? : > I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees : > as it's also for privacy. : > : > Thoughts?
How about Viburnum trilobum or V. lentago.
--
Erkki 'Örkki' Aalto "Life is divided up into
Internet: snipped-for-privacy@Helsinki.FI the horrible and the miserable"

Ouch!
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
✖

the seeds are poisonous *in quantity*. the fruit is inedible (tastes bad) unless completely ripe & then is much better cooked (pies & jelly) with the seeds strained out. it's also used for making wine. Elderberries are a lot of work to prepare, but they are edible. the flower clusters can also be battered & deep fried (no, i haven't tried it. i'm not fond of fried foods) lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

This plant does so well and is so invasive here in Texas that I have an elderberry compost heap. Thiis task required a huge chain, and I ripped it out by the roots. When I see a shoot, I immeditely cut it to the ground and so far this year.
Add pictures here
✖