Ebay ethics queston (plant related)

Wanting a few opinions on this.
I order some Lilly of the Valley pips (one order of 5 white, one order of 3 pink) from a high-volume Ebay seller using buy-it-now and immedately paying via Paypal. Soon afterwards, I get a boilerplate e-mail with the subject that the item "has been shipped", but in the body of the message it points out that the seller ships on only Mondays and Tuesdays. So that would have allowed for a few more days before shipping. But 14 days after the "item has shipped" notice it still hadn't arrived, so I e-mailed the seller and asked if he could double-check on if the order had actually shipped yet (and yes, I was polite and non-confrontational about it). He told me that he would ship it again.
Then, the very next day (15 days after the "item has shipped" notice) the order finally arrives-- and is postmarked 12 days after the "item has shipped" e-mail. As quickly as possible, I e-mail the seller to say that the item has arrived, and to not ship the replacement order if possible, and asked how I should handle the second package if it has already been sent. I get no reply from the seller.
Now, yesterday, I get a package from the seller in the mail. Postmarked 6 days AFTER I told him to not re-send the order. AND, it turns out, it contained only the pink pips, so if the first order really had been missing, I still would have been missing half of the order.
Now, if the first order really had been lost in the mail, it would have been a great gesture from the seller to re-send the order at his own expense. But it hadn't been lost-- it just hadn't been sent, despite his e-mail saying otherwise. And not only was he not able to track that, he didn't bother to NOT resend (half of) the order even though he had multiple days notice that I had finally received the first order.
So (and here's where the question comes in) I've decided that I'm just going to keep the damned pips from the re-sent order and not offer to ship them back to him or pay him ($10.00 plus $3.99 shipping for 3 pips, even though it cost only $1.29 to send them) for the extras, as in my opinion almost all of the problem has been caused on his end.
Any opinions of wherether I do that with clean hands?
eBay ethics: Caveat Emptor! Gotcha Sucker!
You would have gotten a better deal at your local Home Depot. (and a lot cheaper too!)

3 pink) from a high-volume

afterwards, I get a boilerplate

of the message it points

have allowed for a few more

still hadn't arrived, so I

actually shipped yet (and

would ship it again.

order finally arrives--

as possible, I e-mail the

order if possible, and

I get no reply from the

days AFTER I told him to

pips, so if the first order

order.
been a great gesture from

lost-- it just hadn't been

to track that, he didn't

notice that I had finally

going to keep the damned pips

($10.00 plus $3.99 shipping

as in my opinion almost all

Thank him for the bonus plants he sent as a result of the problems he caused you by not shipping when he should have. Since it isn't a full order, you have every reason to believe it is a peace offering. ;)

3 pink) from a high-volume

afterwards, I get a boilerplate

of the message it points

have allowed for a few more

still hadn't arrived, so I

actually shipped yet (and

would ship it again.

order finally arrives--

as possible, I e-mail the

order if possible, and

I get no reply from the

days AFTER I told him to

pips, so if the first order

order.
been a great gesture from

lost-- it just hadn't been

to track that, he didn't

notice that I had finally

going to keep the damned pips

($10.00 plus $3.99 shipping

as in my opinion almost all

Many suppliers behave in this way. It is far cheaper for them just to r-send than go to the bother of checking. It also promotes goodwill. I had a very expensive [40 $80?] Spear & Jackson stainless steel spade that never quite 'rang' correctly when used and eventually snapped on the shaft. I phoned their service department who promised to replace free of charge. One week later, nothing. Another phone call~"It will be sent shortly". Yet another call after another week with the same answer. Four days later 3 spades in a single delivery and meanwhile I had managed to find a welder to repair the original.!! When I contacted them they were quite happy to leave them with me. A whole family and friends with fabulous S&J spades!! Best Wishes Brian Locally, L of the V grows like a weed but never for me! A friend has it pushing through the driveway to his garage!!

3 pink) from a high-volume

afterwards, I get a boilerplate

of the message it points

have allowed for a few more

still hadn't arrived, so I

actually shipped yet (and

would ship it again.

order finally arrives--

as possible, I e-mail the

order if possible, and

I get no reply from the

days AFTER I told him to

pips, so if the first order

order.
been a great gesture from

lost-- it just hadn't been

to track that, he didn't

notice that I had finally

going to keep the damned pips

($10.00 plus $3.99 shipping

as in my opinion almost all

I was looking for something to grow in a raised bed under the shade of a large hickory tree. I thought that these would do a good job of living in those conditions.
It will most likely thrive. Many things I can grow to excess but Vinca and Lof the V defeated me after very many years. Some plants do seem to be choosey!! Best Wishes. Brian
wrote:

large hickory tree. I

I've had the same problem.
-
theoneflasehaddock
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:39:33 -0400, Darren Garrison

Ah, post this on eBay explaining exactly what happened. I've ordered many things in my lifetime, but none took 14 days after "item has been shipped." (The longest shipment took 5 days.)

-snip-
First off- the shipping-- *actual* shipping may be 1.29-- but he probably has more than $3.99 invested in shipping and handling. Packaging and trips to the PO are not free. [Chances are he's paying someone to do all the work & that's why the long delays.]
You asked about ethics-- You, legally & ethically, owe him for the plants. If I were you I would offer to pay for them.
He, on the other hand, if he[she] is any sort of a business person will apologize & tell you the plants are a gift.
Don't forget to reflect his lack of quick communication when you leave feedback for him.
Jim [And if you need some more Lilly of the Valley's & live anywhere near zip code 12309-- give a holler & I'll dump a couple shovels full in your trunk-- and throw in some old fashioned Iris that are nearly as hardy & don't mind the shade.<g>]

You don't owe him for the plants, because it wasn't your order. To give your conciense a rest, (and it's the nice thing to do) you should attempt to contact the seller to see if he would like the pips returned. I know you're having communication problems, but if he answers back most likely he'll let you keep them. It would most likely cost him more money to collect them from the PO than to just let you keep them. Even if he wants them back, it's no great loss at $1.29 postage (He might even offer to pay it). If he doesn't answer, well you tried, not much else you can do.

Give the most detailed feedback you can, so others have a good idea of what kind of seller he is.

You do not owe him for plants you didn't order.
I wish you hadn't supported price gouging on ebay. Remember, it MAY be cheaper to deal with a plant nursery than ebay, in some cases.
-
theoneflasehaddock
you dont pay, but you leave a glowing feedback. Ingrid

Doesn't that kind of thing make "feedback" kind of useless.
Bob
wrote:

one order of 3 pink) from a high-volume

Soon afterwards, I get a boilerplate

in the body of the message it points

that would have allowed for a few more

shipped" notice it still hadn't arrived,
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:42:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Forget that I disagree with you on the payment issue. Why leave 'glowing feedback' for someone whose goods are not that great a deal, communication is poor & apparently can't get an order sent out right? [first late, then incorrect]
Misery loves company, but on Ebay the tools are there to forewarn people about less than stellar dealers.
Jim
I didnt get the impression the goods werent that great. when the seller was notified the goods didnt arrive they sent another order. big whoop there was a mixup, the seller is trying to get it right. and if the person complained that the order still wasnt right, they would probably send another one too. that is a great seller. eBay and shipping isnt like going to your local store. locally you pick out what you want, plunk down the money and leave. instant gratification. on eBay there are a lot of factors in between. there are few career professional sellers on ebay (well increasingly there are) so they dont always have their stock well organized, etc. everything is shipped. that means stuff goes missing, stuff gets broken, etc. this is all happening long distance thru computers which break down, email gets dumped, etc. patience is required. understanding. I am willing to give em a break when they are trying to get it right cause I can get stuff cheaper and/or get stuff I never would have been able to get my hands on otherwise. I absolutely LOVE eBay, and most of my experiences have been good, most sellers are honest and doing the best they can. the glass is half full. Ingrid

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:42:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

And lead others to think this seller's perfect? I think not. I would leave neutral feedback and a comment like "shipping problems, but satisfactory outcome."