Do You Have a Cell Phone?

X-No-Archive:yes

I am amazed at the proliferation of cell phones and the industry that surrounds them. If you have a cell phone, how often and where do you use it? Has it replaced your traditional 'land-line' phone?

Reply to
JC

I am sick of people talking on the phone and in the pathway of everyone who is trying to walk around them. Why don't they move to the side of wherever they are and talk, then proceed. Driving while talking is very dangerous, and yet here are people having long conversations while typing up traffic or driving dangerously.

I was shopping the other day, and even when making checking out, this woman was on the damnable phone, the rest of us wanted to get out, but here she was not even looking or listening to the the checkout person. It is truly sickening. I wonder how people ever made purchases without consulting everyone they know before continuing to the checkout still conversing with whomever.

Ownership of one has a purpose if traveling alone and maybe having car trouble, etc. But it is getting ridiculous trying to conduct a simple trip to the grocery store without being held up by those who can't seem to wait to get home to call someone else.

Norma

Reply to
Norma

I got cell phones for my wife and I because we walk in a remote area of a large park for exercise, and, as we get older, I started thinking what would we do if one of us became injured or incapacitated. In our area, there are almost no pay phones left, so a cell phone is very handy, almost a necessity.

We keep ours turned off most of the time, as we are together. I agree that many people are out of control with their phones. Its common to see drivers who pay no attention to driving because they are talking. Once a woman ran into my cart in the grocery store because she was busy talking on her cell phone and didn't see me. I listened to her talk and she was putting in a special order in the meat department of the same store, so it would be ready when she got to the end of the aisle!

I guess we are abnormal as we don't use the cell phones much. It is handy when we return from a trip and I can call a cab to pick us up when we have gotten our luggage, and when we visit our daughter in school we can call her when we are 10 minutes out to make sure she is ready.

My wife often uses hers > X-No-Archive:yes

Reply to
William Brown

We have two cell phones for business in the US. They are invaluable. Ever try to find a coin or card phone empty at an airport? I don't travel w/o mine and neither does my girlfriend. We also have an international cell phone that, because of protocols, does not work in the US. Again, it has proved invaluable on business trips. Our US service is a little flakey at the house as we are low and rural so we keep a land line. My girlfriend's sister has a landline that is only for local calls (and incoming) and uses her cell phone for long distance.

I agree that people are a nuisance with them. Our phones, if on, are always in "manner mode" when we are in a restaurant (buzz, not ring). In the rare event we get a call, we keep it very short if we take it at all.

Reply to
gwlucky

Nope. Don't need it, got a normal phone and my CB radio.

Reply to
Starlord

On Fri, 20 May 2005 04:41:01 -0700, JC expelled the following:

I have one but really never use it. I think people that are constantly on them need to get freaking lives.

Reply to
Fredrick Garvin

I have a prepaid cell phone strictly for emergency use only.

Here in NC the legislature is working on a bill that would outlaw driving and talking on a cell phone. Egggggggggcelent!

As for people holding up checkout lines and what not, do what I do. I move in close and start making as much noise as I can. It's annoying and fun.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I keep a Tracfone in the car for emergencies - I hardly ever use it.

No, although I could save money by getting rid of the landline and using a cell phone for everything. The problem is - how would I get internet access? It's possible with a cell, but too slow to be practical, or so I have heard. Having DSL for the internet would be just as expensive. Also, DirecTV wants to be connected to a landline.

John Cowart

Reply to
Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

A friend has DirecTV's DirecWay for his internet connection and does not use a landline [not required].

Reply to
E. (Bet) Anthony

Reply to
William Brown

My DSL 3.0/768 (Verizon) has unlimited downloading as well as an excellent news server. Cable access in my area is provided by Comcast with a secret download cap and so I've heard lousy news service.

Reply to
Travis

Certainly the provider is an important issue. I started with a small local company where the techs were good and even the owner would enter discussions on a newsgroup they maintained. Unfortunately, they were bought out by a larger company, and tech support declined, prices increased, and instead of keeping their own usenet servers, they just subscribed to one of the big services. Retention actually improved, but you could no longer call up and ask them to add a newsgroup; they said they just had to take what the service provided.

When I realized cable would save me so much, I called the cable company and asked what newsgroups they carried; they didn't know, but just said there were a lot of them. Finally I went to a users forum and posted a list of the newsgroups I follow, and another user checked and said they were all there. Actually, the savings were great enough that I could have subscribed to one of the services and still come out ahead. Usenet is used by so few customers that the ISPs are not willing to put a lot of resources into it. When I had my small, savvy, ISP, the owner posted that fewer than 5% of their clientele used usenet; he only kept it up because he was an old techie himself from the days of bulletin boards.

Just to stay on topic, my cable and phone lines run in a plastic conduit under my garden and driveway, and apparently the cable isn't as waterproof as they thought, so I have intermittent signal loss (the signal is constantly good enough for digital tv, but only intermittently for internet) so we are looking at getting a more waterproof cable, or somehow circulating air through the conduit to keep it dry.

Reply to
William Brown

Whoever put it under ground would be responsible for the maintenance. All our utilities are overhead except gas and water.

Reply to
Travis