Do you compost?

Page 1 of 5
We recently moved out in the country. Nothing to do but we had to make a compost pile. I admit, it's a handy place for garbage we would usually put in the can for a week. Yech!
Does it work? How much work is it? How often are you supposed to turn it? Do you keep it wet? Do you get enough compost to justify the work?
TIA
Steve

Just my opinion, but you're asking people to write a book for you, instead of going to the library to GET a book first, and then asking questions about what you've read.

I'm sorry. I must have missed the meeting where you were put in charge.
FYI, I downloaded about ten pages on composting from Google. My question was, "How does it work for YOU"? I'm sorry that you missed the questions in my post and chose to comment on something else. Do you have any comments on composting that you would like to share with the group?
Steve

Actually, you asked "Does it work?". Of course it works.

You did it exactly right. Don't assume that my reaction will be anything like those from other people. Wait and see. And, my reaction comes from having teachers and parents who expected me to be resourceful. Others may not have come from this kind of background.
I do have a question, though: How far is your public library?

From here, about 22 miles. But, I googled composting, and got lots of information. I don't always believe what I read in google, and one gets hits that make you wonder how in the world you get there from a simple keyword. I just wanted to know some real live opinions rather than someone who has a website with Adsense ads all over it, or someone who wrote a book and is profiting somehow.
Steve

Limit the search to domains ending with .edu and that should cure your fears. If you read info from ag schools and still have doubts, then other issues are at work here.
Why don't you just tell the op that you're a smartass and don't know anything?

Because it's not true. You know that.

Composting does work. We just pile everything in a semi-shady area and keep it moist. Every so often the pile gets turned. When I looks "done" enough, it's hauled in a garden cart to the flower beds or veggie garden. A new pile is started every year with the leaves and dead garden plants from our property.

Egos suck huh folks?
--
PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.

first and have you okay it. Or rewrite it? Then do you post it to the newsgroup, or do I? I want soooooooo much to get it right.
Steve

Yes, not a lot, only as often as you want or not at all, no, yes.
You won't regret it. Black gold for gardeners! If you start growing your own fruit and veg, then home-made compost is the best and only fertiliser you'll ever need. You can use the heap to digest all kitchen vegetable waste, and lawn cuttings, raked leaves, weeds etc. I also provide a valued service to my neighbours (:-) by composting the shredded paper from their security-documents.
Turning the heap is good, and produces compost faster, but it's not absolutely essential. The biggest work involved, is emptying the finished heap into a barrow and distributing it.
You'll need more than one heap (one filling, one finished and maturing), adjacent. Give a little thought to siting them in a discreet but convenient spot, with easy access. We always make a dry-feet path all the way from the kitchen to the heaps; and a paved area in front of the heaps, to comfortably work in for turning, loading barrow etc.
Janet.

Composting can be as much or as little work as you want. As Janet said, turning is optional and just speeds up the process. I went nuts a couple of Falls ago, and made a 10'x20'x4' bin and collected as many leaf bags as my neighbours would put out, piled it high as possible and kept adding. I supplemented alfalfa meal for the green component and kept it moist to get it steaming hot. I also added the brown paper bags and newspaper, as well. Some of it was ready in a couple of months. And, I still have some of that pile left. I built a smaller one last year and just add stuff in a slightly less frenzied fashion. I probably won't use it until next Fall, so it can break down more slowly and no effort on my part. I layer it on the existing beds and use it for potted plants, including tomatoes. I don't use any artificial fertilizer and rarely supplement watering. So yeah, it works great.
"SteveB" wrote:

If you invest ten seconds to seach this group for <composting> you will find a recent thread that covered most if not everything you need to know.
Sheldon wrote:

And if you search back to a thread I started "Leaf Mold, Do Tell.." you'll find fascinating info on cold composting of leaves as well as a spin off conversation that's even MORE fascinating about compost teas.
At any rate, the question you asked was a broad one which can easily be answered by just a little googling.
Here, even the EPA has information on it, which was the #1 link on Google;
http://www.epa.gov/compost/
On Nov 4, 10:32?pm, Scott Hildenbrand

You're not addressing the correct person.

Googling got me more than I wanted to know about composting. Hence, the next logical thing, ................. "Do you compost?"
No how to, just do you do it, and how well does it work for you.
Simple, really.
Steve

Jeez...
I'll give you two tips for free. After that, you get no chocolate milk & cookies.
Tip #1: Avoid compost tumblers. Don't ask why.
Tip #2: Google using the words "compost methods". When you click the search button, INSTANTLY put your hands behind your head to be sure you aren't tempted to scroll down the page. If you ignore all the commercial site results, there are at least two good sources staring you in the face. If you can't tell which ones they are, then nothing we tell you can be of help.

Yes. Very well
David