Nothing but weeds

Short of pouring concrete slab over it, nothing seems to work as weeds will grow back in a few weeks, few days if we have rain. Then even with a concrete slab, weeds will grow in the control joints or in the cracks. Neither weed wacker, tiller or poison works as weeds will come back in a few weeks. Weeds growing under and above no weed fabric, LOL. Put in two layers no weed fabric, the commercial stuff, only works if there is enough bark or mulch blocking off the sunlight. Bricks and patio pavers, weeds growing between the joints.

What is a good way to control weeds and what works for you?

Reply to
** Frank **

I heard that a pre-emergent (keeps weeds from sprouting) product and spraying weed killer on anything that does sprout works best. Also keep all weeds and nearby grass from going to seed. Seed can blow in the wind or be carried on the feet of pets and people.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Boiling water.

Reply to
Persephone

Used motor oil is usually good for one year for that purpose. Nothing will grow. 2 years later, everything comes back with a vengeance.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, but that would only be practical if the area was small. Add salt for a better kill.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Wouldn't that pollute the ground water by either perking down or running off in heavy rains?

Reply to
Manelli Family

"** Frank **" news:geadnZNvD4ppXrbbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A lot depends on wether you want to do it naturally or chemically. I have pretty good luck using the weed fabric you mentioned above. I also use a minimum of 2 inches of Black Forest mulch on my gardens. In the really big shady gardens I plant hostas and have ground cover also. When I get desperate in some areas I've discovered Round Up is my friend.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

"Manelli Family" news:462c0b66 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

I'm sure this is probably an old wives tale but someone told me if you pour plain salt (not diluted with water) in an area you will not be able to plant anything for a long, long time. IIRC he said 5 years?

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

How about applying vinegar? I have had good success using it.

Johnny

Johnny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

How about weeding? Getting in there with good tools, on hands and knees, and actually pulling out the roots/tubers/stolons/? THEN apply your mulch and other coverage.

Reply to
EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

Not "old wives". A favorite tactic of total warfare going back to Biblical times.

Reply to
Persephone

So do herbicides like roundup. Yet, in denial, people apply it all the time due to its CONVENIENCE and social denial of its properties.

Stand in a large parking lot often used. Wait for the rain. What is that shimmery stuff on top of the water runoff?

Reply to
Dave

I was told RoundUp breaks down in the environment leaving nothing toxic to humans or animals behind.

Reply to
Manelli Family

"EvilGoddessFragileWarrior"

Reply to
Manelli Family

Sometimes I wonder why people buy large lots and don't expect to work in their gardens? There are plenty of condos and apartments for those who don't wish to spend a couple of hours a week tending to their gardens.

Some people actually enjoy weeding and doing other garden chores! Do you believe it?

If you think you need a better long handled tool for weeding you'll find plenty on the web with your favorite search engine that can pull and twist out weeds without tweeking your back.

Reply to
raycruzer

Who told you that? Monsanto? Dow Elanco? Safe as table salt? I'm not saying don't use it, but make sure any amphibians, or reptiles are in the area or the glysophate will come in contact with them.

Reply to
Jangchub

The trick, while hard work, is to pull weeds out before they go to seed. The use of corn gluten meal at the proper times will cut down on seedlings making it much past germination.

I have tons of weeds, especially hackberry, and I now have this really cool tool with a very thin, sharp rectangular metal piece which cuts the weeds off at the ground level. Some weeds with taproots, like dandelion are going to come back from any root left, but use of this cultivation tool greatly cuts down on the need to bend and hand weed.

To garden is a verb. Many people only take it far enough to get the plant in the ground and water it. Actually preparing soil, digging, breaking up clods, adding compost, etc. are not part of most people's gardening experience. As I get older and my body slows and I can't do anywhere near what I once could do, it frustrates me that able bodied people want the short way out.

I do deeply want to get out there every day and garden and I can't. When I say I garden laying down, it is not an exaggeration. Many days I've weeded laying down, praying one of the many dozens of snakes in our yard won't scare me to death! They aren't poisonous or dangerous, just fast.

So go, garden, bend and weed, buy a good weed cultivation tool with a flat blade fo cut the stems at the soil level and enjoy your ability. It doesn't last forever.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

I now have this really

I think you're talking about a hoe :-)

It's sad, they don't experience the pleasure of delving around in the earth, sowing seeds etc for themselves.

Some years back in uk.rec.gardening, there was a regular poster who was unable to walk but still gardened her own flower and veg beds lying on a thing her son made for her, like a surfboard on wheels, or a giant skateboard. She used to lie belly down on it and scoot it along with her hands.

My knees and hips are getting creakier so I now now use a gardeners padded kneeling pad with two arms. I use it as shown in the pic, the arms are great for levering myself up again. , but you can also turn it the other way up as a higher seat. You might find one useful if they are available over there

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I have also used long-handled weeders to clear a large hillside of weeds and to keep the weeds from adjacent wild lots at bay for many years.

To find a helpful guide for selecting a weed hand tool or tools that meet your requirements, you can Google or Yahoo! 'classify weeders'. Different weeds and situations can be matched with different types of weed tools, including those that use power and those that can be used on lawns or to scrape out weeds in cracks of sidewalks.

Enjoy your weeding work. After all, a little work won't kill ya!

------- At peace with weeds...

Reply to
raycruzer

Yes, but I couldn't think of what type; now I found out, it's the second one from the left at this website:

Yes, they do sell them here, but I cannot kneel at all on my left knee. I put a call in to the orthopedist today to find out what the next step is. I can't take drugs daily, and I can't take this limitation, so I have to examine it all. I do own this:

does help a bit. I bought mine at a Lowes box store for 20 dollars. What it doesn't help with are the times when I want to line a new bed with dry stack limestone, or lift things our of the ground with a shovel. I can't put any pressure on my leg to get any leverage using any foot put tool. Eh, old age is coming sooner than it should, but I should be dead and I'm not. That is a miracle.

Reply to
Jangchub