do plants need to sleep?

Hi, I have a few water hyacinths that I'm keeping inside for the winter, is it ok to leave the lights on 24/7?
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Good one. Wink
--
I live in zone 10a-10b

Most plants need a daily period of darkness to do well.
They do not sleep in the way animals do but part of their metabolism occurs at night.
Put your light on a 24 hour timer set for short day comparable to that outdoors.
Plants do not dream.

??????
Phillip Sherman wrote:

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Apparently you haven't been following the thread on winterizing water hyacinths. It's illegal to possess these obnoxious weeds.
--
I live in zone 10a-10b

I know they don't sleep (duh) I was just wondering if part of the photosynthesis process was supposed to take place in the dark..
Phillip Sherman wrote:

I know that when starting seedlings indoors, it is recommended that they get a certain amount of dark hours. I don't have the science to back it up, surely someone out there has a reference?
On the other hand, I have some houseplants that live under a 24/7 light, and they have been thriving for years. They are sanseverias, though, and do fine under all types of conditions.
In your situation, I would set your lights on a timer if at all possible. If not possible, consider it an experiment and report back on how they do. They are also tough plants, and might be perfectly ok that way for a few months.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA