Deer prevention

I have dissected a scots pine that had ivy all over the ground . The tree was the healthiest scots pine I have seen. So some trees may be companion plants and some not. Again, other than blocking sunlight from needles and leaves I know of no published research showing that ivy kills trees. I personally do not like ivy growing on trees. The reason is because it covers up defects and signs of a high risk of hazard situation such as cracks and so on.

Does anyone have data (peer reviewed published papers) showing that ivy kills trees. I would like to read it and place it in my dictionary for all to read under hard to get docs.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

eggs, soap, surfactant and thickening agent sounds harmless. From my experience you probably have to apply frequently to the plants the deer like. I just got my PA hunting license and if any of your clients want the final solution and deer chili, let me know ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Other than deer here are some things humans do to harm plants. Do you hunt them too?

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
Look up "Mulch"

Impr>> I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very >> well. >>

Reply to
symplastless

No not very frequent.

Reply to
symplastless

That was really a silly response, John. And, you don't actually have a problem with hunters, unless you are a vegetarian.

Are you a vegetarian?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Billy Rose expounded:

Not only does it weaken and kill them, but the ivy morphs into the adult that bears flowers and fruit, which the birds carry off and spread. It's an invasive plant throughout its range, any extension service that says otherwise is doing a disservice to its area.

Reply to
Ann

I used to be until a friend of mine put a Philly cheese steak in my face. I have followed bear and deer and saw fun things. It does bother me, i.e., the way the deer have been pushed from once fertile forest, to farm lands, to housing developments. Life is a journey, powered by the sun. On this journey I have become connected to bear and deer. I have no problem with deer. Another good friend of mine was in front of me heading south on 202 when a small heard of deer where jumping into cars. There is a medium of about 30' of mowed turf. All of the deer except a young one got across the North bound lanes. Speed limit 55MPH. Me and my friend stopped. I went into the medium and the young deer came over and placed his or her head on my leg. My friend and I had trouble stopping North bound traffic for the young one to cross. Finally one driver did stop and others followed and the deer crossed and went off. The sad thing is the deer was coming from and heading into, another development where most likely was thought of as a nuisance as many of you claim. That's where I am at. The deer are not my enemy. Yes I eat meat. I would rather be vegetarian to be honest. Oh well. PEACE!

You are not my enemy are you?

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

"symplastless" expounded:

No, I don't have peer reviewed anything, I've seen it and it's general knowledge, at least around here. The plant smothers the host (thus blocking photosynthesis), and the weight pulls the host down. In addition, the ivy reaches maturity and then flowers, spreading seeds via birds eating the berries. Not a plant I want growing on my trees.

Reply to
Ann

Sometime I will share my story about a bear.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Once I was looking for Cucumber magnolia trees for optimum fertility level in old growth forest. I was at red oak camp ground and called the US Forest Service and they could not tell me where to find such trees. I followed a bear at the camp grounds and the bear took me to a young cucumber magnolia. Then he or she went to a dumpster that said Valentine. I have a picture of that. My birth day is valentines day. Oh, wee, just my crazy way of thinking. I do think. I would not get to close to a bear though. They are not my enemy.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Where can I find this data?

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Of course I'm not your enemy. I am one with cows, fish and poultry, and yet, I eat them. Hunters I know don't kill deer because they have a problem with them. They do it for the food. OK...one guy does it to get away from his disgusting wife. But the rest do it for food.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I try to make decisions based on data. I don't like ivy in trees because it covers signs of high risks of hazard such as cracks. I don't like ivy on trees. But I have not read data that stated ivy kills trees.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

What if the data came from homeowners who observed ivy killing trees? Would that be valid, or would it depend on who collected the data?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I do not make decisions on what people get published in journals such as phytopathology or whatever. You would have to contact the journal and ask the journal what it will publish. Ask the US Forest Service what they will publish.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

consider an electric fence. By fence I mean a wire about 3 feet above the ground and a second wire about 1 foot above the ground. The second wire is for racoons and groundhogs. Smear peanut butter on the wires. Deer and other critters love peanut butter. Once they get shocked a couple times after licking, they stay clear.

This is used by several commercial vineyards near me and they swear by it.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

How about the National Park Service?

ECOLOGICAL THREAT "As the ivy climbs in search of increased light, it engulfs and kills branches by blocking light from reaching the host tree?s leaves. Branch dieback proceeds from the lower to upper branches, often leaving the tree with just a small green ?broccoli head.? ***The host tree eventually succumbs entirely from this insidious and steady weakening. *** In addition, the added weight of the vines makes infested trees much more susceptible to blow-over during high rain and wind events and heavy snowfalls. Trees heavily draped with ivy can be hazardous if near roads, walkways, homes and other peopled areas. On the ground, English ivy forms dense and extensive monocultures that exclude native plants. English ivy also serves as a reservoir for Bacterial Leaf Scorch (Xylella fastidiosa),

***a plant pathogen that is harmful to elms, oaks, maples and other native plants.****

Loved your bear story, John. But, I gotta tell you, every arborist I've known is just a little bit looney. I don't know if it's the chainsaw fumes, or you just gotta be crazy to climb trees. (I climb in arenas to rig sound and lights for entertainment events, and we may be a little bit weird too...) No offense meant....

Reply to
cat daddy

The deer had a garden feast night before last. Ate the last bedraggled cuke, the squash right to the ground, bits off the pumpkins, carrot tops, peppers, and most of the tomatoes. I haven't been over to see the damage yet so I don't know how the corn, okra, and eggplant fared. They don't seem to care for the Brandywines as much as the cherries and Beefsteaks tho. They totally ignore the English Ivy that we'd love to get rid of. I think it was revenge for the chunk of firewood my buddy chucked at a deer on Saturday.

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

yep, it's a deer conspiracy........lol!

Reply to
rachael simpson

I read once that many hunters really are not in it for the kill, but they like being in the wilderness. It was a subconscious thing.