Daylily seedlings

I gathered a bunch of daylily seeds today from an unknown variety where I work. I think they are probably Stella D'Oro. What can I expect the seedlings to be like? Will they mostly resemble stella, but be variable in color? How long before they bloom from seeds?

Is it best to refrigerate the fresh seeds for a couple of weeks and plant them this fall, or save until early next spring? Or maybe plant them immediately and accept a lower germination rate but give the seedling a few more weeks before winter? I probably have 100 seeds or more, and can get

*lots* more. Thanks.

Best regards, Bob, zone 4

Reply to
zxcvbob

Gee, if you have that many seeds available, I'd do trials. Toss some out now and see what comes up in the spring. Save others to plant next spring.

I'm about to toss out seeds for echinacea, rudbeckia, various poppies and other stuff in the next week or so. It's coming on to fall here, so those plants are dropping seeds now, in this area. (I'm a sink-or-swim gardener. Stuff either makes it or it doesn't. I'll do my best to give plants the conditions they need, but they have to tolerate a degree of neglect now & then.)

If the plants at work are dropping their seeds right now, this is probably the right time for you to plant some at home : )

Jan Zone 3

Reply to
Jan Flora