Darn Squirrels

Page 1 of 2
They're lucky they're cute.. Darn squirrels, just found they been munching on my new riding mower seat.. Luckily it's the molded foam kind so beyond making it look bad it's an easy fix with a light coat of silicon.
Darn things, took chunks out.. *mutters*
hurmpf!
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

You won't think they are so cute when they go after the mower's wiring ;)
Frank
Frank wrote:

LOL.. I hadn't thought of that.. ;)
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:30:35 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

They are gathering nesting material so if you provide them with it they will usually leave things alone. I put out cotton batting, Spanish moss, shredded sheets I no longer use, and all I have to do is look up and I see their nests full of it.
Jangchub wrote:

That's a good idea.. I'll see what I can dig up for them..
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:12:24 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

One year the squirrels tore apart the cushion on my swing thing and it was so funny to watch her do it! I never replaced the cushion yet, so I leave it out for her to tear up every winter!
To my knowledge, squirrels don't tear up wire, raccoons do, but there is always a first. I also buy pipe insulation tubes for the squirrels and they love to put those up in the trees in hunks.
Jangchub wrote:

http://squirrelsatemywiring.com /
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:35:20 -0500, Frank

Oh, on the Internet, it must be true. I didn't say never, I said there is always a first. I stick by my statement; squirrels don't tear up wire, raccoons do, but there is always a first. I didn't say never.

Our power company spends lots of time repairing chewed wire. I know raccoons can climb easily, but I've never seen one AROUND HERE perched on wires.
Jangchub wrote:

Squirrels are the worst with wiring...more so than even a rat or mouse ever thought about being a problem with it. If I get a call and the problem described is chewed wiring it almost always turns out being a squirrel.
Lar
Put some real hot dust around the mower. They don't like that.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
Pepper dust that is.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
we left the new "yellow pages" out and the squirrels started gathering that too... as long as they stay out of our house, out of my flower beds, leave my fruit alone. but they wont I am sure. Ingrid

Oh, well they are welcome to eat fruit and vegetables here so I don't have that attachment to the garden in that way. This is a certified Texas and WWF Backyard Wildlife habitat. How silly would I be if I didn't want them to eat anything back there. For that, I can easily move downtown to a condo in the sky with a small balcony with a great view of the Texas Hill Country.
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:32:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I had a squirrel come in the house when the back door was open and it chewed the bottom edges off a row of about five books on a bottom shelf. I'd thought it was funny when it was only coming in as far as the window by the door, and the dog chasing it back out, but it managed to get way inside the house unnoticed to reach the books, one of which was rather valuable. I still like them, but between digging bulbs and getting in the house to look for nesting materials, hard not to regard them as little bastards too.
They're usually very territorial and only two large grey squirrels to a neighborhood (plus transiently their babies which have to go find their own territories after they get through adolescence). But between all the birdfeeders in the neighborhood, & Sue next door feeding them corn, we've got three big dreys in a one block area, and two adult squirrels to each drey. That's beginning to be a handfed-in-the-park density, too much food lessening their territoriality.
Sue feeds them whole raw corn cobs. The excesses they were planting all over the neighbrhood, so corn was growing in every sunny spot, then the squirrels harvested corn they planted themselves!
So they sway back and forth between awfully cute and awful nuisances.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Jangchub wrote:

What a great idea!! Gives me a clearer target!! Tom J

Umm....the squirrels got into your garage? Or, do you keep this mower outdoors?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Outdoors for now till I get the garden shed built.. Garage is a workshop more than a place to park anything, no room by design.. House egressed into it.

Oh...OK. Then, you explicitly requested the described result.
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Righteous indignation? I've had my share of squirrel probs, but never thought to put things out for them at nesting time. I will make sure they are eco-friendly, biodegradable, and neutral in tone.
Couple years back, there was a shocking pink polyester nightie in the garage. Two windows were out as well as the door, door and one window now replaced, one to go.
Anyway, there was that pink nightie out by the lilac bush. I look out the window, "what the?"
So I went out and put it where the squirrels couldn't get it, in the trash.
Don't ask why the nightie was in the garage. It was my daughter's, I think. I do not want to know.
Presume it was a squirrel. Now you have me upset to think if the critter had been successful, I'd have to put up with that shocking pink blob up in one of my trees, and it would bug me no end!