Cutting back a budded tree

Hello, I need some help from someone!
We got a tree, planted three years ago, and it's just started to bud, but it needs to be cut back. If I cut it back will it get ruined?
Apologies for my lack of gardening terms/knowledge!
Any help appreciated!
--
mullibum

On 3/14/2009 7:00 AM, mullibum wrote:

It all depends on the type of tree and your climate. What is the tree? Where are you?
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/ .

On 3/14/2009 1:30 PM, mullibum wrote:

Maples are pruned only for aesthetic purposes. They do quite well without any pruning.
If temperatures remain below freezing for extended periods in the winter, prune maples from summer through January. If freezing is intermittant or rare, prune from summer to the beginning of October. Thus, it is too early to prune now.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I'm not sure what you mean by "budded", all trees have buds at all times throughout their life.

Why, who says, and how much?

What do you mean by ruined, appearance, health? When done correctly pruning will improve a tree... all trees require and benefit from periodic pruning. No one can answer your question with specifics until you at very minimum identify the tree to which you're refering
No one here made the blanket statement that just pruning a tree would stunt it's growth. But I did say that pruning a tree before the last freeze will often stunt it's growth for that year, as you described in your post....
James
Also, cutting back a tree before the last freeze is over, could damage the tree and/or stunt its growth. Most folks try not to cut back trees until the Spring time."
James

With grapevines, if you prune them just before bud break, it will delay bud break a couple of weeks. That might be enough time to avoid a frost altogether, providing trees are like grapevines, we are talking deciduous trees, and any of this is relevant to the original post. Where is Kay when you need her?
--

Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is