Crows

I have allot of crows in my garden, is there a good way to keep them away? Sandy
On Sun, 09 May 2004 08:58:57 -0700, sandy wrote:

I've used flash tape to keep the birds out: http://www.biconet.com/birds/flashTape.html Some people like to use aluminum pie pans hanging from trees or stakes. These work best where they can spin from the wind and bump in to each other to make noise (imho). I've used aol cd's and bad burnt cd's (coasters) in apple trees to help scare away the birds. A large rubber snake or a plastic owl works great also. You could always build a scarecrow. If your into buying garden toys, you could try this: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?pageD958&category=2,2190,33119&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SIDJust make sure you have your video camera around to film the fun.... Good luck.
Thank you for the ideals. sandy

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?pageD958&category=2,2190,33119&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID> Just make sure you have your video camera around to film the fun....

these ideas are good but you have to move the snake and owls around convincingly crows are very smart so smart in fact they can learn to make and use tools to get food a scare crow works for about two days then they get wise A barn cat would work better. the snake and the owl are the best idea just move them every couple of days. and the cds only bother them for a while a week or so until they get wise to it. good luck I used to have a crow as a pet and they are danm tricky little suckers. On Sun, 09 May 2004 16:16:19 GMT, Timothy

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?pageD958&category=2,2190,33119&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=
they are smart only two sure ways bibi gun or a hawk don't have a hawk oh well it's off to the sporting goods store. Assumeing they are leagal where you are. I have a pare of hawks no crows in sight for long where I live. Not kidding

such a delightful person

A joy, huh?

We have owls, hawk, and crows.
sandy wrote:

In the spring, the crows will eat grubs, which will help your garden. Once you seed things, they will also pull up the tender seedlings and eat the roots, which won't help your garden. Late in the summer, they will peck at fruit to get water.
I run monofilament fishing line over my crops. I use the fluorescent blue stuff, 8 lb test (not really important), about 3 ft high in parallel rows about 4-5 ft apart covering the crop and extending about 2-3 feet past the crop. The crows can see that there's something there but their eyesight isn't good enough to see just what or where it is and they don't want anything above them. Last year I lost my first two zucchini plantings until I did this. The monofilament is cheap and readily available. Once the plants are more than 3" high the crows don't seem to be interested in them and you can remove the line. Since the lines are parallel, you can walk between them for weeding if you have to.
I tried the inflatable owls and snakes and eye balloons, but this works better.