Corn

What's the best way to tell when corn is ready to pick? My grandson has some growing and I know nothing about when to pick it TIA
--

Never Forget
http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Tassel starts to brown up. The cob feels firm, you check one and eat it on the spot. Worst case is the local squirrels or raccoons tell you.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

The tassles get brown and sticky. Plus you cannot miss the overwhelming sweet smell. Just sample one to be sure. Nothing sweeter than corn right off the stalk.
Paul

Crows knows.
ChairMan wrote:

It's the day before the parrots eat it.
David

I thought it was the day AFTER the parrots eat it.
--
- Billy
ChairMan wrote:

after that. My wife feels the ear to insure the kernels at the free end are full, then pries open the husk at the end of the hull to check the color of the kernels. Different varieties retain their sweetness for varying times, but I think it is always best if cooked and eaten immediately on picking. My wife starts the water boiling, then picks enough for a meal; nothing is better. Incidentally if not picked as soon as ripe, it toughens and is not nearly as good.