New Tree Pictures

Crew arrives with equipment and trees:

beats hand digging:
horse chestnut, my water hauler:
maple:
very graceful:
blue spruce, after my hawthorne:
"Fat Albert" Colorado blue spruce:
"Crimson King" Norway maple I planted seven years ago to replace the one I had removed:
got shanghied (volunteered) to play Gunga Din. I hauled 20 gallons for each tree. In this heat with no rain the ground is bone dry. Now I'm hoping for a good long drenching rain, otherwise I'll be hauling more water. The sky looks very threatening here but there are no gaurantees with weather. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out... there is really no way to know how new trees will look in the landscape until they're actually in the ground, I think they look great. Now they need to grow.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Nice pictures. Did I note some off property trees fenced for deer? If they are a problem you may want to fence the new deciduous trees. I've seen trees this size in a part of reforested park torn up by deer.

Reply to
Frank

Those are out in my wildflower meadow, two dawn redwood and one yellowwood... those branches are still too low.

The deer are another reason I buy larger trees, they don't bother what they can't reach. Of course with deer there are no gaurantees but there is plenty growing here for them to forage and the hay farmers always leave plenty of bales in the fields.

My fruit trees are still fenced, probably two more years before they're large enough to remove the fences.

Two plum, two apple:

and my copper beech is still fenced, I removed the fence from that ginko this year:

brooklyn1