New Trees

Tomorrow morning the crew will be here to plant my five new trees; One Fat Albert Colorado blue spruce, about 6' One Colorado blue spruce, about 10' One sugar maple "Legacy", 4" caliper, about 14' One elm "Accolade", 5" caliper, about 14' One double flowering horse chestnut "Baumanii", 5' caliper, about 12'

This is a combination of my last Christmas and birthday gift, I've waited patiently and am looking forward to the event. I will have pictures.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Planting tree's in the 90's ? Why not Sept 30?

Reply to
Bill who putters

Cheaper this time of year. As long as they are kept well watered, they should survive.

Reply to
Frank

It can be just as hot here in September. I can water them, they'll be well on their way by winter. They're fairly large trees with huge root balls... they're already dug and out of the ground anyway... it's better they go into the ground now then sit in the hot sun until September. They're from a very large nursery, they know what they're doing, I haven't lost any of their trees, in fact they're all doing exceptionally well.

brooklyn1

Reply to
kate

None of us will be around to see it mature:

you for your well wishes.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Planting price remains the same regardless the time of year... they charge 75% the selling price for planting, 50% the selling price for purchases totalling over $1,000. I bought the Chestnut to reach the $1,000... total with planting is $1,750.01. All the nurseries around here charge the same rates for planting. When they plant they guarantee the plants for one year... I've purchased many trees from this nursery, all are doing very well... there is no way I could possibly plant trees this size myself, I have no way to bring them home or move them... their root balls weigh well over 500 pounds each.

I intend to water them. Plus the soil here is very rich bottom land, very moist and fertile... they'd probably do well even if I don't water but it's easy for me to hitch a cart to my tractor and haul large containers of water. Actually it's more important for me to locate trees here in areas where they won't be too wet. The weather forcast here says thunder storms for tomorrow afternoon and more all the next day, so tomorrow morning is a good time for planting. And I'm glad it's been hot and dry lately, the ground wont get rutted from the planting machinery... I wouldn't let them bring their heavy equipment onto my property in fall when it's wet... of course they know not to consider fall (or spring) planting of large trees around here.

Reply to
brooklyn1

For five large trees including planting? That's a good deal.

You can't get a 3 inch caliper tree, deciduous or evergreen, in the Denver area for less than ~$400 (and most are more.) They charge 50% for delivery and planting with a 1 year guarantee.

The garden club in our neighborhood has bought a Royal Red maple in memory of one of its few charter members remaining who died recently of cancer. It will be planted in our neighborhood park tomorrow.

isn't the greatest weather for planting, but since we go from blazing heat to snow with not much between, there's not much choice.

gloria p

Reply to
gloria.p

Reply to
nicoledc109

Itz a very good idea of planting in sep

Reply to
benibenzamin

"Royal Red" is another name for "Crimson King" Norway maple (Acer Platanoides). I have one about half the size of the one in your picture. It was a sapling when I planted it seven years ago, a replacement for the huge one I had removed because it was planted too close to my house. I've no idea why the last owner planted it a mere ten feet away. I hated to have it taken down but it was destroying the roof and the deck, and if ever it came down in a storm it would have taken the entire house and everyone in it. I see where a lot of folks plant trees right next to their house when they are saplings without a clue about how large they grow. Your "Royal Red" Norway maple tree can easily reach 80' X 50', and with good conditions can grow even larger. There were six other large Norway spruce planted right up to the house, one in front of every window, I had them all removed, couldn't even look out a window. And there is plenty of open acerage here to plant large trees, go figure.

The day it was removed:

brooklyn1

Luckily, I have a mature Chinese Elm in the yard. Such a graceful tree.

Kate

Reply to
kate