Collecting Seeds - How to

Greetings all.... I have several flowering annuals and veggies from which I would like to collect the seeds to plant next year.... these include
Annuals
    Marigold (several varieties)     Flowering Vinca (Catharanthus roseus), also known as Madagascar periwinkle     Coleus (several varieties)
Veggies
    Tomatos     Melons
Here's my question,... I am almost totally clueless about what the seeds look like, and how they are harvested....
With the flowering plants (marigold and vinca) do the flowers produce the seeds and do I wait for the flowers to die on the stem before removing and storing.
Tomatos and Melons - are those seeds actually the propagatable seeds for the plant
(Look when I said DUMB.... I mean REALLY DUMB, but at least smart enough to know which questions to ask).
So what does one look for when collecting the seeds and how should they be stored for use the following year. ( I know, its easier to buy the seed packs, but I'm trying to fill gaps in my education).
Thanks for your help ( and patience !!! )
Peter
Peter, go to the following website for some good advise on seed harvesting : http://theseedsite.co.uk Good luck ! Ben.

which I would like

periwinkle
look like,

the seeds and do

for the plant

enough to know

be stored

packs, but I'm

Good suggestion... exactly what I was looking for...sorta like a "Dummies Guide to Seed Harvesting".... and a reference guide for everyone else.
Thanks again for taking the time to post the link !!!
Peter