Cold ... for Southern California

This morning, I saw frost on my neighbors' roofs as late as 8:30am.

"Winter chill" is the number of hous the termperature is at or below

45F. I generally measure from 1 November to 31 March. The average for my area is about 330 hours. Two years ago, however, we got only 127 hours. Last year it was only 102 hours with the first chill occuring late on Christmas day.

This year seems to be reverting back to normal. Our first chill was in mid-November. So far, we have had over 50 hours of chill.

Just because we are having a normally cold winter does not mean there is no human-induced climate change. "One swallow does not make a summer." (Aristotle)

Reply to
David E. Ross

Especially since those of us living in the northern states have yet to experience actual winter weather. We've had only a handful of days where the temps dropped below freezing, maybe two where it got down to the teens. None at all where it reached zero or below. Our grass is still green, for pete's sake - and I live in Minnesota.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

All due to climate change - more of a problem than ISIS.

Reply to
Frank

Moe DeLoughan wrote: ...

at least CA is getting some decent rains the past few weeks. seeing positive numbers for a change on the reservoirs inflow/outflow balance.

we've had one snowfall of significance this year so far and the warmer weather is nice for keeping the heating bill down (we already keep the heat fairly cool for the winter anyways -- this is just bonus to have it not running so often).

a lot of rain though, so i guess it's ok that we don't have to shovel it and it is safer for driving if we have to go out.

Christmas is forecast to be above freezing and no snow on the ground.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Wait until El Nino comes in early 2016! :O

Reply to
Ant

"Climate change" isn't selling people into slavery. And it's been changing for longer than humans have existed--the problem now is that it's changing in a way and at a time that gives a certain political subgroup an opportunity to try to transfer wealth.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My attempt at sarcasm.

I've urged folks to read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton.

Environmentalists went nuts but that was not the main purpose of the book but to point out what you have just written.

Reply to
Frank

Opposite problem here nearer the opposite coast. I've been having insanely warm temperatures aggravated by excessive rain. I've noted that verbena, creeping phlox and periwinkle are blooming; color is showing in the buds on the weeping cherry; hyacinth, daffodils, and crocus are coming up fast. I've yet to walk out into the woody area near the driveway because of the thick wet leaves but I fear that the English bluebells are coming up and they are marginal in my climate under the best of conditions -- if they come up now they probably won't survive to bloom later.

The new normal is abnormal...

Reply to
John McGaw

I read that dreadful, dreadful, cheap-shot drivel with incredulity; then an ger. Maybe certain parties here are subtle enough to read good intent into evil performance. But the average NYTimes best seller purchaser-type would more likely take the bad stuff for (what passes in their limited cosmos) for re ality.

"Environmentalists went nuts" is yet another cheap shot. Bad enough that f or the last 35 years, since James Hansen's testimony before Congress, Our C orporate Masters have succeeded in heading off climate reform advocated by thinking people until we have probably passed the fabled 'tipping point'.

But for an influential pop novelist to further distort the limited thinking powers of hoi polloi is unforgivable. I hope Michael Crichton's great-gran dchildren, if they are able to survive, realize who helped bring about thei r fate!

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Thought I might get a rise out of you Sara.

Happy New Year

Reply to
Frank

December is not completely over yet, but we have had more winter chill November-December (113 hours) than we had entire last winter November-March (102 hours). By Friday (New Year Day), we might even exceed the winter two years ago (127 hours).

Yes, I know that winter does not start in November and is over before the end of March. But my garden responds to chill that occurs from the start of November until the end of March.

Reply to
David E. Ross

David E. Ross wrote: ...

how much of the rains of the past few weeks have been getting to you?

here it has been warmer than normal up until the past few days when it has started to be winter again.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

With a rain-year that runs 1 October through 30 September, we have had

1.02 inches so far. Last rain-year, we already had 5.03 inches by this date.
Reply to
David E. Ross

Looking at records, I see here in Delaware we average 43 inches per year. Averages about the same over the seasons with slightly more in the summer. I don't think I watered the lawn once this past season. With a well I have unlimited water but hear of people similar to me paying maybe $60/month for municipal water which I think is excessive. Every now and then we have a dry period and those on city water are asked to conserve and not to water lawns.

Reply to
Frank

Where I live, the soils and subsoils are so highly mineralized that well water is not suitable even for cattle let alone humans. My monthly water bill from an independent government water and sewage agency (not a for-profit water company) averages $99.66.

In this community, housing tracts are too dense for septic systems. Sewage fees are added to our property tax bill: $534.24 per year.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Sounds about what people here pay for water and sewer. For outside incorporated areas bills are separate with water bill from water company and sewer bill from county based on amount of water you use.

Our well water is great and I drink it but wife noticed slight sediment on standing and drinks bottled water. I only have a sediment filter and do not treat the water. When my parents were alive they would sometimes come here for drinking water when theirs got over chlorinated.

None in my area are on water lines and all have wells but half our development is in sewage. When they brought sewers in those that could have to access service pay whether they use it or not and if they do use it pay for hook-up. This is at the bottom of the hill I live on and some really needed it with antiquated cesspools or one that dumped treated grey water with chlorine dumping it into creek past his house.

My septic is up to date and works well. Figure including occasional pumping of septic sediment tank and well repairs that I have saved thousands over the years.

Reply to
Frank