Coffee Plants

I just picked up a pot of coffee plants from Wal-Mart yesterday, they were sitting in a plastic container 1/3 full with water. I took them out to let the roots dry out and am going to replant each one in it's own pot, there's 6. I'm not too familiar with growing them as a house plant, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Dave

Is this like the coffee plants you bought?

want to get some myself. 7 years in Seattle turned me into a caffiene junkie. And hopefully sometime this year I'll be moving back if everything I plan stops going to hell, but oh well...anyways, I sure hope someone has experience with them, I always prefer growing my own if possible.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest beans for your own brew.

Reply to
Travis M.

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in the continental US. :-)

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

I'm just growing them because I can, not to try and make my own coffee, although that would be cool.

Reply to
Dave

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in news:UFuYh.5955$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never tried it.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer. After our first time in New Orleans many years ago, we now exclusively drink Cafe du Monde ground coffee with chickory. Talk about your thick coffee! It tastes like it is much stronger than it actually is. I've been looking all over for expresso to no avail. Maybe my mom can mail us some from New York. Down here in the hinterlands they don't sell expresso in the grocery.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST: "Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."

Reply to
FragileWarrior

It is one of those myths that gets repeated in every book ad nausiam.

Like second cuttings of rhubard are poisionous or horseradish harvested in Spring will kill you.

But try it, you might like it... but I doubt it.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

Jack Schmidling wrote in news:1335m1ghpe81153 @corp.supernews.com:

What is?

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

"...When I was in New Orleans some years ago I found the beverage made from [chickory root] to my liking, particularly as a change from ordinary coffee. I have since learned that one brand of coffee with chicory as well as pure chicory may be purchased locally. It makes an extremely dark brew."

AND - OR CHICKORY "COFFEE" Dig the roots. Scrub them thoroughly. Roast in slow (300 degree) oven until brown all the way through...several hours. Grind. Brew into "coffee" type drink just as you would brew true coffee.

"... Many coffee producers offer blends with up to 30% chicory, which cuts down on the caffeine content of your cup. But many folk enjoy a cup of 'coffee' made entirely from ground, roasted chicory."

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"Dave" wrote in news:B7HYh.1698$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Jangchub

And one more chicory coffee review that has a funny ending:

Guide Review - Roasted Chicory Chicory is a natural and decaffeinated alternative to coffee that many people say tastes 'the same'. I am going to put that to the test.

When roasted and ground, is it undistinguishable from roasted and ground coffee. Looks the same, thought it doesn't smell the same. It has a roasted aroma, but is also quite sweet smelling with almost a hint of chocolate.

It brews up pretty much like regular coffee, though I found the resulting beverage a little 'thicker' than coffee. Not really thick, but it had a bit more body to it than regular coffee. Given the sweet smell of the chicory grounds, I was completely shocked by the taste. Sour. I think it was the most sour thing I've had in a mug. Healthy or not, it was just nasty. I couldn't finish it.

My wife had a cup before I had a chance to tell her that it was actually chiorcy. She didn't even notice. Granted, I suspect she gave her cup a good dose of vanilla creamer and brown sugar, which would mask the taste of just about anything. I no longer trust her judgement.

FragileWarrior

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Everyone else knows that chicory is found as either a coffee extender, coffee substitue with other additives or as a stand alone drink. Why bother with one person who doesn't appear to have ever looked at the products on the shelves of a health food shop or even at the range of products available in the beverages aisle of a supermarket?

Reply to
FarmI

"FarmI" wrote in news:463345ef$0$17238$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

You have a point. I did think the "in the internet, it must be so" point was rather amusing, though, considering where we all are. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Living close to the chickory capital of the world, I must say that chickory is nasty, more bitter than coffee, the only reason it was proclaimed a substitute to coffee is because people were absolutely desperate for their coffee fix. But that is only my Not So Humble Opinion....

On Apr 27, 6:39 pm, FragileWarrior > actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in

Reply to
BearDrummer

Community Coffee is the brand down here...

Reply to
BearDrummer

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:14:22 -0600 in , Jack Schmidling graced the world with this thought:

There IS no coffee substitute. Anyone who loves coffee or describes themselves as a "coffee junkie" will never be satisfied with anything but the real deal. Chicory is interesting... so are all sorts of teas, herbal and otherwise, but when push comes to shove, if you want coffee, nothing else will substitute. Chicory is added to coffee (something that started with slaves to stretch out what they had, if I remember right) to make it go further, at the expense of the flavor of a good cup. Even robusto coffee sucks ass, and it sells for about a dollar a pound green, but I see it advertised all the time like it's some great thing to drink. Dandelion and chicory are about as good of a coffee substitute as orange soda.

Reply to
belly