cicadacam

those of us with no cicadas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Ugh. Yer not missing nuttin. My cherry tree looks like a bee hive in the afternoon, with literally hundreds swarming. There are corposes everywhere, and my car was covered this morning. Ick.

BV.

Reply to
Benign Vanilla

everywhere,

how long have yours been around? Mine are down to the extremely destructive females and I'm seeing massive damage and death on literally hundreds of twig ends on everything. Trees, shrubs.....My Vitex bush is no longer 16 foot tall. It's more like six foot with every limb affected. The females cut so many slits to lay their 24 clutches, that the stems break. I've even found broken branches of Sorbaria which are thinner. This is almost too much but I know that Nature goes on with or without us. All I did was provide more plants for the insect to lay her eggs into. Were these bushes and trees not here, she would still do this to the pin oaks, black walnuts and what not like she is doing all around me. Since I have had literally MILLIONS of them here in Fairy Holler, I expect to see massive damage. At least trees and shrubs recover from pruning. I just won't have blossoms this year on the Vitex and a few other shrubs. (all my shrubs bloom) madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

We're, I dunno, three weeks in or so. I have not noticed any damage as of yet.

BV.

Reply to
Benign Vanilla

I'm at the same stage as you are. Fortunately, I am on the edge of the brood X territory and don't have as many as some areas. The females are laying their eggs and the ends of my branches are starting to break. We have had some strong winds and that has accelerated the breakage. I hope that my younger shrubs and trees survive. I'm on the SE side of Cincinnati.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Ow, and I thought we had a lot. I was going around with cotton in my ears for a few days, but that just sounds bad.

Well they'd be here even if we weren't I suppose. Hadn't see one coming out of the case, though. Interesting stuff. Thanks . . . those without cicadas should be glad if they don't like bugs. :)

Reply to
Liashi