Chocolate scented flowers

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:
http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com /
I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:30:33 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

I think the bulk of these plants and seeds "look" like the color or chocolate, but the only plant I've had actual experience with which had a chocolate fragrance is chocolate geranium. I didn't search the site you gave, but I love the chocolate delphinium flowers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here are a few others that smell like chocolate (from the article that gave the link I posted). I don't know how I forgot about Chocolate Mint. I was always a fav of mine!
Chocolate-Scented Houseplants
Chocolate-Scented Geranium, Pelargonium. Most scented "geraniums" are actually pelargoniums. More than one variety has leaves that carry a "chocolate" scent, although I have to say that scent perception is an individual thing. Some of my friends smell chocolate. Others don't. Pelargoniums are mostly houseplants, but you can also treat them as annuals in your garden; they're too tender to overwinter outdoors. Put them in soil that drains well in a place where they'll be shaded from the hot afternoon sun. Water only when soil is dry.
Chocolate-Scented Orchid, Oncidium Sharry Baby. The many delicate-looking flowers of this tall, gorgeous orchid are cherry red with white-tipped lips and give out a delightful scent. Unlike some orchids, it's not too picky about its growing conditions. Just be sure to place it somewhere like a kitchen or bathroom where it will get a good amount of humidity as well as the bright, indirect light it needs to flower. Or you could put it on a tray of pebbles with water underneath and occasionally spray it. The soil should be dry before you water. Sweet-scented Sharry Baby does grow tall, so make sure your pot is heavy and stable!
Chocolate-Scented Outdoor Plants
Chocolate Daisy, Berlandiera lyrata. These daisylike blooms—with their yellow petals and maroon and orange center—can be a cheery addition to your chocolate garden. The plant blooms at night and emits a chocolate scent in the morning. Depending on wind direction, you might catch the fragrance up to 30 feet away! The plant is drought tolerant and can be planted in sun or partial shade.
Chocolate Cosmos, Cosmos atrosanguineus. If dark chocolate is your weakness, plant some Cosmos. These gorgeous dark burgundy flowers let loose their beguiling scent in the late afternoon, so dedicated chocoholics might pair them with Chocolate Daisies, which emit their scent in the morning. Chocolate Cosmos need well-drained soil and full sun; the heat of midsummer really gets them going.
Chocolate Mint, Mentha piperita cv. Got a craving for a peppermint pattie? The taste of these edible leaves will remind you of this favorite minty-chocolate treat. Try some in coffee or hot chocolate. Or dry the leaves and mix them into your favorite brownie batter. Chocolate Mint does best with at least half a day of sun. The plant can grow and spread aggressively, so try placing it in a large container in your chocolate-themed garden.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have that, but have to say it smells more like mint and not much like chocolate. Nice colour though.
If you like plants with dark foliage, here's a great book full of them
Purple Passion by Karen Black
Janet
Add pictures here
βœ–
contains these

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
contains these

I think that might be Karen Platt, right?
Her books are expensive! Even used!
I use www.fetchbook.info
http://www.fetchbook.info/purple_passion.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, sorry, and I forgot the title too, it's Black Magic And Purple Passion . Male guests here always pick that title from the shelf to browse through.

I can't think why anyone would pay $85 for a used copy when it's still in print and easily available new for about $32. I bought direct from the publisher , see
http://www.karenplatt.co.uk/books/blackmagic /
which also gives you a look inside the book, at the quality of illustrations.
Looking that up was a bad move; now I've found out she's done a series of other foliage colour schemes. Very tempting :-)
Janet
Add pictures here
βœ–

<hee hee hee> I'm a great believer in books. Fetchbook and I have a long and fruitful relationship -- even if it is to send me off looking elsewhere occasionally.
Thanks for the heads up and the nice antidote about your male guests. :))
Add pictures here
βœ–
You can get geraniums scented in about scent including chocolate from Davidson's Greenhouse in Montgomery County Indiana. They ship them all over the world. I just found the information It is Davidson's Greenhouse and Nursery Inc. - 3147 E. Ladoga Road, Crawfordsville IN 47933 - Phone 765-364-0556 Very nice people and 3rd generation in the business.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mel M Kelly) wrote in 3311.bay.webtv.net:

Hey, thanks, Crawfordsville is pretty close to me. I'll have to look them up. I love going to greenhouses at this time of year. I wonder if they are open year 'round?
Add pictures here
βœ–

. The website doesn't quite promise that :-) It says, "We are a specialty nursery offering selections from our extensive collection of "chocolate" (dark colored) plants and rare perennials ".
The only plant I've grown whose flowers truly smell just like chocolate, absolutely delicious, is Cosmos atrosanguineus (Chocolate Cosmos) It's a perennial in mild-winter areas, but not hardy to freezing.
I just burned a little chocolate-scented candle last week (not from there). It looked and smelled exactly like a yummy chocolate with a walnut on top. This week's candle is "Wild Gorse", which smells exactly like the plant.
Janet.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!
Add pictures here
βœ–

You raise orchids? OOOOhhhhh! I want to raise orchids, too, but I don't think I have the set up for it. Tell more! Tell more!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2007-02-17 21:03:21 -0500, FragileWarrior

I have a few Dens and Oncidiums. In a South and west window. I let them dry between waterings. Feed half strength Miracle grow every other watering.
Add pictures here
βœ–

link:
So do you have Sharry Baby? Are they hard to find? I have a south window I wouldn't mind giving to a chocolate scented orchid.
Add pictures here
βœ–

experiences

them

Oh, holy COW! It's beautiful but EXPENSIVE! Do all orchids cost this much??
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchids_potted/oncicidium/oncidiu m_sharrybaby.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's a ridiculous price... $20 tops. There are some on Ebay right now for $10, but I expect they would need a season or two before they bloom.
--
Toni
South Florida USA

I've got at least ten 'Sharry Baby's' hanging in the back yard and I wouldn't call it chocolate, exactly. Unless you were really, really jonesing for a chocolate smell. Or just very hungry. They're sweet and reminiscent of candy, but I wouldn't say chocolate.
That's exactly why I have so dang many of them- kept buying from different vendors hoping for the "holy grail" of chocolatey goodness, but so far it's just a vague hint.
--
Toni
South Florida USA
FragileWarrior wrote:

I THINK I once read of a Hoya that smelled like chocolate.
Shouldn't be too odd as I THINK cacao is a fruit?
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Add pictures here