Happy Belated Kitchen Garden Day to rdoiron!

From: snipped-for-privacy@belgacom.net (rdoiron) Subject: Happy Kitchen Garden Day! Date: 22 Aug 2004 05:03:01 -0700 Message-ID:

Hope you'll be celebrating!

Salty Thumb

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

  1. Grow coleus or other indoor plants from cuttings.
  2. Start sweet potato vines in water.
  3. Start grapefruit seeds, avocado pits, mangoes, any thing that is edible, save the seeds and see if they wil grow. Make a collection of tree seeds, and start them.
  4. Grow a carrot top forest, from the top 2 inch end of a carrot. Just put in shallow water in a saucer
  5. Learn about types of soils.
  6. Learn about composting.
  7. Grow wheat or other grasses in pots.
  8. Do an experiment with potted bean plants by putting one in sunlight, one in the dark, one in a cold place, one in warm to see what plants need to grow. Do this with seeds also to see what a seed neesd to germinate.
  9. Force bulbs in containers.
  10. Learn the parts of a plant, parts of a leaf, parts of a flower. A Botany book will give you the terms, and good diagrams. Use real plants as well as diagrams
11.Look at bark and twigs with dormant buds of winter trees and learn to identify them by these characteristics. Force some spring blooming shrubs like forsythia into bloom.
  1. Put a celery stalk in water that has been colored with dye. Watch the color rise up in the stalk. How did it do that?
  2. Soak lima beans in water. Carefully remove the outer skin,(seed coat) and then separate the two parts of the seed (cotyledons). Inside you will find the tiny embryo plant complete with root, stem, and tiny leaves. Kids love this and find it truly amazing. I do too!

I may think of more.......... Emilie NorCal

dark, one in a cold place, one in warm etc to discover what plants need to grow.

  1. Force bulbs in a container.
Reply to
MLEBLANCA

I agree, some parents don't want bean plants in their home but I can't think of anyone who doesn't want fresh basil in winter. Mint and lemon balms are good too, most kids do a double take when they smell these for the first time. Christmas pepper (get edible ones) and sensitive plant (Mimosa pudica) are impressive too. You can also make a sprout kit for lentils and alfalfa.

Don't forget vegetative propagation: african violet leaf, potato, garlic, hens & chicks, etc. If you're really daring, you can start a vermicomposter. :)

Here's some sites:

Pen

Try this site:

Sed5555

Have you seen Sharon Lovejoy's book?

How about forcing some bulbs? Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

They can care for house plants they planted in the fall.

They can enjoy winter flowers such as witch hazel and hellebores. (Caution: hellebores are very poisonous to children)

They can force Paper White Narcissus or Amaryllis Bulbs.

They can dry flowers collected in the fall.

They can enjoy plants with berries in the winter like holly.

They can plant seeds they bring from home from foods they eat.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone