checkout this cheap and easy bio filter i made

hey if you are interested check out this effective little bio filter i put together. it only took me one afternoon and saved a ton of money... http://www.softwarewiki.org/biofilter.html
Let me know if you can think of any wats to improve it.
thanks jeff
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:18:34 -0700, pondwisdom

It will be good for a few years. The barrel will rust. The lava will need cleaned some day, I scraped the skin off my fingers cleaning the lava out of mine. (similar design)

the barrel is actually plastic. I have heard similar statements about problems cleaning the lava rocks though, i guess we will see when the time comes. jeff
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:58:46 -0700, pondwisdom

Plastic is better. Is the top open or closed. Mine is open, I grew iris in there one time, cannas another time. BAD idea. They welded the rock together. I have water hyacinths in mine now, they work well except when they plug up the outlet.

the tops is open. i have water hyacinths in mine as well.
veggie filters. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/details.htm http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/p2000.htm http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes2.htm
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:18:34 -0700, pondwisdom

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:18:34 -0700, pondwisdom

When you decide to replace the lava rock, look for Savio Springflo media. I couldn't remember the name last night.