Drywall made easy

Well, he makes it look easy

Ed Pawlowski

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 23:03:54 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Hatchet man`````

He makes me tired just looking at it...

Reply to
Tekkie©

It's easier when using many small pieces as it appears he was doing. The downside it more drywall compound and sanding.

Reply to
Hawk

The smaller sheets were used under plaster - no taping or mudding of the seams. ... perhaps under bathroom tile in this case ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Wow! That man is a beast!

Reply to
Francis S

I wonder what he charges per hour.

Reply to
micky

That looks like what's on the oldest walls in my 1947 house. It's rock-hard and weighs a ton; I can see why they didn't use 4x8 sheets. Every one of those walls is skim-coated with plaster. Our bathroom was different: metal lath nailed to the studs and covered with a buttload of plaster underneath the tiles.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

That was the way they did bathrooms before the advent of cement board and water resistant drywall. In Florida my Mom's whole apartment had that kind of walls. It was a way to deal with potential flooding. There was a gap under the base board to allow the water to drain. In my addition the block walls are covered with stucco on both sides. The inside is skim coated with white plaster like drywall over the normal brown coat.

Reply to
gfretwell

We called the smaller sheet-rock panels "lath" - but "plaster & lath" usually refers to the older type of lath - with the thin wood slats .. might be a regional terminology ? The lath panels of the early 1960's often contain asbestos - as could the plaster.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The metal lath in my bathroom was expanded steel mesh:

I don't know what gauge it was; all of it ended up in the landfill when we remodeled.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

some history :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Nice. Thank you for that.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Theree was a lot of "GypRoc" used as lath for plaster in the 40a and

50s. It mafe plastering a lot faster, easier, and cheaper than using metal lath or slats
Reply to
Clare Snyder

and the "face" side paper was littered with little holes to give the plaster some "tooth"

Reply to
Clare Snyder