Can Honey Mesquite trees be transplanted.

I live in the southern part of the texas panhandle. There is an abundance of native honey mesquite trees here. My question is can these trees be transplanted? One tree that I've had my eyes on has a trunk that is roughly 4 inches in diameter.
It likely could be moved. However, a tree that size will require a tree spade.
Out of curiosity, why would one living in Texas (I am from Texas) want to go to the expense and trouble to move a mesquite? They are relatively abundant and seedlings should be easy to find.
KLU
I was thinking that I would get a larger tree faster with the transplant. I'm not against seedlings, and after doing some research I see that they grow pretty fast with the right amount of water. Which way would be the best. I do have access to some pretty heavy equipment, so I don't think the large tree would be out of question.
I would go with a seedling or at least a younger tree. Mesquite are also fairly short lived.
Is there a difference between honey mesquite and western honey mesquite? I've seen several mesquites in southern texas and around the san angelo area that have a form more like an oak tree rather than a bush. I can't imagine some of those trees not being at least a century old.
On 13 May 2006 12:25:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nctv.com wrote:

will overtake teh larger transplant fairly quickly. Save your back and plant a seedling.