BRIDAL WREATH SPIREA growth rate question

When most web sites say that Bridal Wreath growth rate is moderate, what does this mean in inches per year? I planted bushes that are just over a foot high, and they are all green and thriving (they were planted in April). What kind of growth rate should I expect in Zone 5 (Chicago NW suburbs)

Thanks much!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Hi Dan,

I've got a row of Bridal Wreath that are at least 10-15 years old that I keep trimmed to ~7-8 feet. They are in mostly shade over the summer time and I take a foot off them each year after the bloom (which is happening right now). Around my house on the south side there are LOTS of examples in full sun that are HUGE and left natural with no trimming. Maybe their growth is moderate compared to weeds and such, but I take a foot off every year to keep them nicely shaped.

Reply to
Merle O'Broham

Thank you!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

========= I have two myself (SW Chicago burb) that were planted back in the 40's or 50's sometime and are enormous. I used to hack them back a good 5 feet and it took about 3 years to get back to the former size. They looked sad the first year after the slash job so now I just trim them back a few feet every other year. They really are a lovely shrub at bloom time!

Reply to
ozzy.kopec

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo