Brandywine tomatoes

Page 1 of 3
Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves look like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.
Put it on your list for next year.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:07:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Aren't they beautiful, as well? So meaty. Few finer. Welcome to the world of *great* tasting tomatoes.
Hybrids cannot come close to the taste of the heirlooms, IMNSHO.
Next year, plant more of them, if you have the space. Some years are better than others. Last year, the Old Germans, (great taste at the other end of the spectrum) produced few. This year, I am nearly tired of eating them.....great breakfast tomato, though. Sausage, eggs, toast and maters'.....heaven.
Care Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

I'm gonna go nuts with them next year. This year was discouraging until two days ago, when I finally put up a wire fence to stop the deer. It's ugly as hell, but I don't care. It works. Stepped outside around midmight last night and there were 5 of the bastards standing there with a "What happened?" look on their faces. The fence is 10 feet high.
Heh.
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:04:09 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Hmmmm.....ugly/brandywine.....no-ugly/no-brandywine...easy choice.
Hey.......here's an idea for your deer problem. Elder Son brought by a movie for us to watch......"300".......not a particularly great movie, IMO, but those Spartans were good with a spear thrust. Hide amongst the 'maters and thrust a spear through their hearts. Back to basics, man against beast at the primal level.......
Friggin' deer .......and rabbits, in my case. Shot a couple more recently.
Enjoy the brandywines Charlie

I think of "300" as a prelude to attacking Iran. How often do we see beauty associated with Iran ? Faceless enemy comes to mind. Which is great book that I can't find now. However a Amazon search for "Faceless enemy" yields all sort of pro war books. Go Figure.
Anyway the book I know deals with wwII and how movies and media in general always showed American faces while the enemy either had a mask on or a snarling face. In "300" the Immortals all wore masks,
Bill who saw 300 and preferred the early version with people about 1955. I just gave it to my dad hours ago. Synchronicity.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. Huge mammoth, dead on the ground, spear sticking out. One cave guy's looking at where the spear hit, saying "We should write that spot down". :-)

This is one of our mandatory 'matoes; the others are Black Krim, Sungold (cherry) and Green Zebra. For us, the heirlooms have been good producers this year. We only have one hybrid this year and it's not doing that well (Early Girl). CareWren--drying tomatoes and making sauce today :)
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:55:31 -0800, "KarenCannoli"

Krims are our favorite black tomato.
The heirlooms are doing well here as well, northern Missouri. Last year was disappointing. Go figure.
Elder Son planted an Early Girl, as his only hybrid, and it hasn't produced much other than a few small fruits.
I've been meaning to try Green Zebra. Aunt Ruby's Green has been a great "green" tomato for us.
Hey, I have a dehydrator going now, full of Cherry Romas. We eat them like raisins. Have been tossing Rutgers in the freezer by the bags full, to sauce this fall.
Care Charlie

I stumbled across Brandywine by pure chance. I was too busy to start many of my own seeds this year, and I figured it would be easy to find plenty of varieties at the nurseries. I happened to be at Home Despot, where I normally won't buy plants. But, some employee must've accidentally taken great care of the tomato plants. The Brandywines were in great shape.
The employee's probably been lobotomized and fired by now, so he/she won't attempt to teach other employees how to take care of plants.
On 8/16/07 4:07 PM, in article 882xi.14027$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Subtitle: Seed starting project takes over entire basement.
On 8/17/07 8:26 AM, in article eugxi.14077$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny,

Ever read Mike McGrath about seed starting?

No. What's it about? Removing your furnace to make more room for seed trays? :-)
On 8/17/07 9:42 AM, in article SAhxi.14175$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

Darn close! Check out back issues of Green Prints (one of the two and only two gardening mags I still subscribe to).
Cheryl

Sounds like Henry Mitchell. Have you read either of his books? "The Essential Earthman" "One Man's Garden"
On 8/17/07 12:14 PM, in article rPjxi.14187$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

I have every book HM wrote. And reread them too. MMcG is much lighter and fluffier but great shorts. Too much is like too much sweet tea..

Cheryl proclaimed

Cheryl, please tell us ALL about MMcG's Shorts and how you know this.......
(Any sweet tea is too much ) Oh yes, have read HM several times also. Emilie
On 8/17/07 4:24 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com, "mleblanca"

Mike McGrath used to edit Organic Gardening back when it spent more time talking about gardening and less about how evil (fill in the blank) was. His dismissal over disparaging a deep pockets chemical company lead to the end of the magazine I think.
His short piece in Green Prints are fluffy and generally fun. But sometimes, he's like sweet tea or cotton candy. A little is fine, but after a while, my teeth start to hurt.

I dearly remember the old Organic Gardening and Farming, and miss it and Mike's writings in it. I do read him in Green Prints, but OG has never been the same. I get that now because I'm a member of the New England Wildflower Society - I'd rather they stuck to the lovely mugs they gave us each year, or the prints. OG is a waste of celluloid now.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

UGH - NEWS gives that as a member bonus, shudder. I tried it once after the "name change" and it was awful. The quality of writing (already sliding before MMcG left) was terrible and not even worth the compost value.
At least you could regift the mug.. C