Our first tomato

was picked green , and sliced , battered and fried for dinner . Accompanying the subject tomato was cubed potatoes with butter and parsley , fried okra -frozen, from last year's crop - and a nice chunk of ham . There are so many tomatoes already on and so many blossoms , we are going to be BURIED in tomatoes before long . We are having a *VERY* good year !
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 06/18/2018 08:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Hi Terry,
Awesome! Green huh. Couldn't wait, could you!
:-)
-T
Me gots five (tomato) flowers.
On 6/19/2018 12:09 AM, T wrote:

  You've never heard of fried green tomatoes ? Not exactly one of MY favorites , but the wife likes 'em , so I cook them .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 06/19/2018 04:42 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

MY

I have heard of them. They are awful! But some do obviously like them.
I don't care for green bell peppers either.
:-)
On 6/21/2018 3:11 PM, T wrote:

They're not my first choice either ... but she likes them , and so I cook them , and even eat some of them .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Terry Coombs wrote:

all sounds good to me. :)

glad to hear it!
songbird
On 6/19/2018 6:38 AM, songbird wrote:

  I've also got some white greasy beans about 3" long ... how big do I want to let them get before picking some to cook green ? Everything is just bustin' out , you can almost see the okra grow , same with the beans and field peas . Most of my tomatoes are 5 feet tall or better and coming over the tops of the cages except the Roma's , they're only 4' tall . I'm going to call the county extension office and thank them ... I firmly believe the amendments they suggested have made all the difference . Well , that and the liberal application of rabbit droppings .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

greasy beans are one of the beans that taste ok for quite some time even after the beans plump up the pod, but before they start dying off. so as long as you want them to go, let them, of course you also want to leave some for seeds and they do take a long time to go.
i sample them all along, but most of the beans i eat fresh i get from the wax and shorter green bean plants.
have you tried any fresh and crunchy? that's my most favorite way to eat almost all beans if they're suitable. one of my favorite things to do is to see if a new variety is edible when still crunchy and then hope to have enough to cook a few up lightly steamed and then i have to wait a bit and see if they're good as a shelling bean and then as a dry bean. i'm always happy to find a bean that works more than a single way, but then again i like so many dry beans when they're cooked up it's ok if they only work out that ways too... :)

rabbit droppings are excellent worm food. :)
songbird
Terry Coombs wrote:

Yesterday there were two *ripe* SuperSweet 100 tomatoes on one of my two potted tomato plants.
I picked them both and gave one to my elderly neighbor to give her a taste of things to come. I ate the other one. YUM!
The deer have chomped on three of the four tomato plants out in the garden bed despite being wrapped in bird netting. They look for an opening, then push enough netting aside to get a taste.
Luckily the Roma they half-chomped down has recovered and is loaded with green tomatoes. The San Marzano that was half-chomped is taking longer to recover, but at least has a few tiny tomatoes on it. The latest snack was a SuperSweet 100, that was nibbled. At least I have two of those on the deck in pots, safe from Bambi.
Nyssa, who has not planted anything else in the main garden beds because of the deer snacking and is sticking to pot culture for a few items only
On 6/18/2018 11:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I usually figured that if I was lucky I would get a ripe tomato by the 4th of July so it might have been the same for you.
My mother used to make fried green tomatoes and they were very good.
No planting this year for me. I had to get a new deck and removed pots from the old deck last fall. Also now George Shirley's age I figured I needed a lawn service. Never heard from George BTW.
On 6/19/2018 1:55 PM, Frank wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he has passed , he had quite a list of ailments .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/19/2018 3:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

We are seeing contemporaries go off the grid because of mental ailments. I lost 3 high school classmates just this year but two were MIA for the last few years with Alzheimer's. Just found another is in home hospice but had dropped off Facebook over a year ago after hip replacement then a heart problem. My wife was upset to find one of her best friends living out of town suffering from dementia accompanied by Parkinson's. Unfortunately some disabilities become so severe you become a recluse.
I have an older friend that is dismayed that he can no longer do the yard work and gardening that he used to do. He had to give up cutting grass about 5 years ago but said it felt good to sell his lawn mower.
I enjoyed hunting but now just enjoy shows and talking about it.