blowers

Page 2 of 3  
Mary Ellen Magoc wrote:

There are appropriate uses for this tool. The blower gets into corners and under porches and bushes much better than a rake. It gets leaves out of window wells.
There are inappropriate uses for this tool. Weekly use is overkill. My blower gets used only once or twice a year for leaves. (it's also a sprayer, so it gets used during the summer also). The blower does not handle wet leaves or large piles of leaves as well as a rake. The rake is infinitely superior when gathering leaves into a compact pile.
I recommend both tools, used appropriately. Being male, I have to say that "more tools is better".
As far as pollution goes, my car gets used much more than 17 times as much as my blower.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Mary Ellen Magoc" <magoc at velocity dot net> wrote in message

17
This reminds of the quote, "there are lies, damn lies and statistics." 17 times more pollution sounds really bad, but consider this. If you use your gas powered leaf blower for 10 minutes every week, that translates to 170 minutes of driving time a week, about 24.2 minutes a day.
If you are a 2 car household that's only 12.1 minutes per car. Considering that US average commute time to work is about 20 minutes, or 40 minutes round trip. Cars pollute far more then a leaf blower. http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2002/cb02cn117.html
Having said that, people dislike leaf blowers for their noise far more then anything else.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snooze wrote:

smog as

17
your
170
Considering
minutes
But the point is that for each minute you are using your leaf blower, you're polluting 17 times as much as each minute you drive your car. How often you use your car, or how often you use the leaf blower is irrelevant.
Each time I fart I make a horrible stink in the room. Far more than my car would make. How much I drive my car is irrelevant. My fart still stinks more than my car. Be thankful that I don't fart as much as I drive, but don't forgive my fart just because I drive a lot.
It also doesn't matter if there are more cars than leaf blowers. If that were a justification, the oil-fired power plant down the road could defend it's polution by pointing out that there's only one plant for every one million cars.
The point is that a leaf blower puts out a disportional amount of polution for it's size. Comparing it to a typical car is only meant to emphisize that an engine far to big to strap on your back is 17 times cleaner for each minute of use.
--
Warren H.

==========
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Warren wrote:

It's not the car engine that's that much cleaner (although it is cleaner by itself), but all the attachments they add to get rid of the unburned hydrocarbons etc coming out of the car engine. The car engine can be scaled to a liftable size (e.g. lawn mowers), but still isn't suitable for a blower.
The leaf blower (and all other 2-stroke engines like chain saws and trimmers) puts out a lot of hydrocarbons because of the way it's designed to be used. The engine has to work in any position, so the oil is mixed with the fuel to keep the engine lubricated. Automobile engines don't work well upside down or sideways because the oil won't circulate properly (the oil inlet has to be in the oil sump). These engines are frequently used for short periods of time, so catalytic converters won't work on them because they don't have time to heat up.
If you really worry about 2-cycle engine pollution, buy electric blowers, trimmers and chain saws. They work just as well, although they are far less convenient.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Warren wrote:

When it can be easily replace by a more healthy way to gather the leaves. There is the rake. There is also the electric aspirator, which is a lot less noisy and a lot more healthy.
Franoise

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So 1 minute of leaf blowing releases same amount of pollution as driving a car 17 minutes.

As cute as your fart analogy sounds, it's hardly accurate. What percent of the total air pollution released millions of cars on the road every day, and compare that to what percent of air pollution comes from the perhaps thousands of leaf blowers and other two stroke engines being on any given day.

And oil or coal fired power plants are heavily regulated, in the tons of pollution they are legally allowed to release.

I agree that 2 strokes are much louder, and release far more pollutants then a similarly powered 4 stroke. But it does no good to bandage the paper cut when the patient has also been shot in the chest. What is the marginal benefit gained reducing air pollution by eliminating 2 stroke engine? Compare that to the marginal benefit gained by using leaf blowers?
Sameer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snooze wrote:

Anyway, try to put your head at 1 foot from the exhaust of your car and look how you feel. Persons operating these blowers are standing too close from the exhaust to not have serious effects on their health after awhile. A minute may even be too long.
When I see these young workers working for some contractors and they use them all day long, I am sad for them. Lost of hearing and bad effect on their lungs may both be irreversible.
Franoise.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Electric leaf blowers, people, electric leaf blowers and a 100 ft extension cord......Even if that wouldn't work on a country estate, it would be a satisfactory solution for 98% of America's homeowners......

and
then
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snooze wrote:

Please also take into account that most of us don't use our leaf blowers during the spring and winter months. That gives you a factor of two at least (for a long term average). Summer useage is probably minimal.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snooze wrote:

I have had a Stihl string trimmer for over 10 yrs, and it's continued to run reliably with no repairs and only basic maintenance. If that's any indication, they make good, reliable products.
Everyone has an opinion about leaf blowers. Mine is that when used to clean up grass clippings, they are not objectionable if you don't try to get the streets and walks absolutely immaculate. (It's a street, not an operating room. So make it decent, not spotless!) Then, the total time in use should be only a few minutes. I've tried to do it with a broom or a rake, and it can take 10 or 20 times as long, and still not give very good results.
For gathering leaves, I suggest you find another way if possible. The blower would be running for a long time to do that, and the noise is really unkind to your neighbors.
The blowers do pollute, but so do many other things. I figure in the absence of legislation it's up to everyone to make their own choices.
I suggest wearing ear and eye protection when you use a leaf blower.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What is wrong with an electric aspirator? I think they are OK espciallywhen they chew the leaves.
Franoise.
Mike Prager wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Mary Ellen Magoc" <magoc at velocity dot net> wrote in message

17
the
abuses
ill
interest
My car is used about 1000 hours a year. My leaf blower is used less than 10 hours a year.
What's your point?
Shepherd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Shepherd wrote:

than 10

People buy Kellogg's Corn Flakes 100 times more often than store brands. By your logic it would be okay if the store brands included 17 times as much toxins. But in reality, it's irrelevant if Kellogg's is used 100 times as often. The public interest is served when both are held to the same standards.
The fact that you use your car more often than your leaf blower is irrelevant. Per minute, the leaf blower produces 17 times as much pollution. That's as unacceptable is it is for some goofy little car with a smaller market share being allowed to not meet standards simply because people drive other cars more.
Would it be okay for you to disable the pollution controls on your car, and justify it by saying for every 10 hours you drive it, the other cars in the neighborhood are driven 1000 hours? Of course not. So why would you think it's relevant that you drive your car 1000 hours for every 10 hours you use your leaf blower? It doesn't make the leaf blower one iota cleaner. It's not a logical justification.
--
Warren H.

==========
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Your logic under whelms me and I can see logic of any kind would overwhelm you.
Cornflakes indeed!
Shepherd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Because it's a 2-stroke engine, of course.
My gas leaf blower recently expired (possibly prematurely). I went to Home Despot to look at new ones, and all of them had "engine life 100 hours" on the price tag. Screw that!
Now I use my mulching mower to chop up the leaves. I also bought a Shop-vac that came with a blower attachment, which I use to clear off the sidewalk. The electric Shop-vac is cheaper, quieter, more versatile, more robust, and easier to start than a gas blower.
-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Good for you. Good for your hears as well. Apparently there is a permanent diminution of hearing for the user with each hour of use of a gas blower.
Franoise.
Spud Demon wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I wonder if leaf blowers are legal in the countries that export them to us, like Japan. We can also thank them for the noisy motor scooters, water scooters, trail bikes, etc. That is the American way: you build them, we will use them. It's time to pass national legislation to curtail these noise and pollution monsters. I read recently that the rangers in Yellowstone have resorted to wearing face masks in Winter because of the clouds of polluted air from the snowmobiler's. Our homes and our places of recreation are fair targets for all these idiots.
Sherwin Dubren
Phisherman wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Warren wrote:

- ronniesloan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ronniesloane wrote:

have just bought an American Sears "craftsman" petrol leaf blower an my dear wife has broken it by running it on neat petrol rather than tw stroke mixture. Does anyone know if it can be repaired in the UK or i it wrecked for good? Originally posted by Ronnie Sloane (UK - ronniesloan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:35:01 GMT, ronniesloane

I'd guess that the engine is burned due to no lubrication. Take it to a mechanic to check it out.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.